Remember When (2001)

Hello! This one shot is a tad all over the place as it begins in the year 2001, then goes back to 1987 for a flashback, (shout out to onlymileven for being lovely & requesting I write about Mileven as teens)!
Warning: there is more explicit language/themes used & mentioned within this specific one shot. If that makes you uncomfortable, please do not feel pressured to continue reading!
********************************************
It's odd how the human brain convinces itself to forget a harsh memory. Almost like applying a permanent bandaid, the cerebrum patches up a thick layer of gauze to the trauma that one's endured. Although we sometimes forget the entirety of what happened within an event, there's usually at least one person who can fill in the gaps that have formed within the mind.

Benjamin Wheeler, who was now a babbling little rascal, had been playing a game of hide and seek with his grandfather when he stumbled upon a rectangular object in his parent's closet.

"Whatcha got there kiddo?" Hop crouched down in front of the boy, looking down at the large book that his small hands were grasping.

The raven haired toddler shrugged and his honey colored eyes relayed his internal confusion, "read to me."

The grandfather of the year was currently babysitting his youngest grandchild while the kid's parents took their daughter to a doctor's visit with Sam Owens. Hop was unable to deny any of Benny's requests, so without further ado, he swooped down and picked up the child that kept a firm hold on the hardback item. The two snuggled up on the couch beneath a thick blanket as their eyes gazed at the cover.

'Hawkins High Yearbook 1986-1987'

Hop sighed and ruffled the boy's curly locks, "I'm afraid there won't be much to read in here, but there should be some goofy old pictures of your mom and dad. Wanna take a look?"

Ben's dimples beamed up at his grandfather as he nodded. With that, the duo began exploring the dust covered pages. The first face that stood out to the boy was a youthful version of his uncle Dustin. After his wandering eyes picked up on other familiar faces, he began growing impatient.

"Where's mommy and daddy?" he questioned sternly, poking at the pages in hopes of seeing their printed images.

Hopper flipped a few more pages before a satisfied smirk appeared beneath his graying beard, "do these two look familiar?"

Benny sat forward, almost letting his button nose collide with the page as he examined a younger version of his parents. The image that was located in the center of the page showed Mike and Eleven cozied up close together on a set of bleachers. Although the photo was in black and white, it was easy to see that El's cheeks were stained with tears.

"Why does mommy look sad?" Ben's voice was laced with concern as he asked his grandfather for more information.

Hop, who took a second to analyze the photo further, was almost certain that he could vividly remember what happened to the two of them that day. He pushed back the memory and was just about to assure his grandson that all was well when the front door suddenly came unhinged.

"We're home!" El warmly called out as she looked around the house for her family.

In a flash, Ben was up and charging towards the area that her voice had come from. His eager eyes landed on his mother and just before he could reach her, a set of familiar arms grabbed ahold of the sprinting toddler.

Benjamin allowed his father to hug him before he started squirming, "I want to see mama!"

Mike faked offense and let out a scoff, "what? I'm not good enough?"