My Benefactor - Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

        I couldn't hug him back. I just stood there stiff as a board though I was about to just flung myself at him like a hoe bag. “Nope, I'm fine,” I said, my voice a bit clipped.

      He stood back a little, and cupped my face with his hands, caressing my cheeks with his thumbs. “You're lying,” he said, with slightly narrowed eyes. “You didn't hug me back. Your mind is all gibberish, and you are all stiff and tense.”

         Damn his perceptiveness and mind reading.

     I sighed, and finally, I wrapped my arms around his waist, and laid my head on his firm, comfortable chest. “I'm just stressed out, that's all.”

        “What for my love?” he asked, sounding more concerned now. “Did something happened in school? Did that brat Ciara bothered you again? I'm gonna tear that redheaded Alerian bi--” I didn't let him finish with his rant, though I find it adorable with how he was cussing my ex-best friend.

     “It's not something I can't handle, Dee,” I told him as I cut him off. Should I tell Derek that I discovered something fishy going on with Ciara, and the hallway incident with Bryson?

        Derek had done so much for me in trying to break the prophecy, and adding drama into this was just wrong.

           But...

          Should I?

        “Ree?” he asked, still looking down at me with concern. “You're freaking me out here. Are you sure she didn't do anything to hurt you?”

      So instead of making him worry, I just smiled and said,” I'm fine, its just the usual. Nothing biggie.”

        “Are you sure?” he asked, not buying my fib. “You're not lying to me, are you?”

        I nodded, schooling my features to make him believe me. “Yeah, positive.”

         He looked at me intently, that weak in the knee dark blue spheres bored into my pale blue ones with intense penetration looking for a lie in my eyes. I made sure to think something other than what happened to me in school non-existent in my head. It was a hard feat, but I knew he wouldn't pass up in reading my mind.

             It's Derek we were talking about.

              He was just overprotective like that, and it's infuriatingly adorable.

          Seeming satisfied with what he saw, he sighed, and gave me a charming smile. “Alright then,” he said. “I have something to tell you, ma cherie,” As he said this, he brushed his nose against my own leaving me breathless.

        “What is it?” I breathed, loving the feel of it. “Wait, you're dumping me, aren't you?” I asked, trying to make a joke.

           Brushing his lips lightly on my lips, he laughed softly and said,” No, I am not dumping you.”

          “Then what is it?”

          I didn't expect what he asked of me.

        “Can I take you out on a date?” he asked softly. “ With this Prophecy going on, I hadn't asked you out on a date to make our relationship official.”

          A... date?

         Did just Derek ask me out on a date?

       I was stunned beyond belief. I was astounded (in a good way), and I knew that a lot of things had happened due to the Prophecy messing up with our lives, but going on a date with Derek hadn't crossed my mind. Sure, we had confessed our feelings back in Greece, but do we really have to do this with things going on around us? We should be focusing right now...

          But again, a date with him wouldn't hurt, right?

       Before everything goes downhill, I deserve this kind of momentary happiness... right? Just a taste of it...

         “A d-d-date?” I stuttered, not believing it.

        He nodded, looking amused with my stuttering. “Yes, a d-d-d-date,” he said, mocking me, and then pecked my lips. “Now what would you say? Will you, Reagan, would like to go out with me tonight?”

         “But I don't have anything to wear,” I blurted out.

          Really, Reagan? Really?

        Okay, out of anything to say, that just have to come out. That was a lie, I have clothes of every occasion to last me a lifetime. Derek asking me out had me all moronic, that I didn't know what to say.

          All I have to do was say yes, right?

          He chuckled. “I take that as a yes?”he asked.

          I could only nod.

         He smiled. “Good, I'll see you tonight,” he told me, releasing me from his hold. “I'll drop by your room at 7:00 pm.”

         Again, I could only nod.

        Wow, a date with Derek. Just...

        What am I going to wear?

* * *

Currently listening to Words I Never Said by Skylar Grey (I like this version better hehe!)

I've written this page a couple of time, still I find it iffy. Grr. I might re-write this, but I have to give you guys something of Ree and Dee so... yeah. Still, not satisfied with the chapter. :-( I know you are thinking why Reagan didn't spill it out? Well, that's just her I think. The following chapters will going to be light and after that, the serious stuff begins. 

The date chapter will be uploaded tomorrow. I am not done yet writing it, between work, and trying to get enough sleep (I work on a graveyard shift), I am having a hard time getting it done. My brain just fizzles out... ugh.

But I will try not to make the date typical. I am going to put a bit of Derek, and Reagan trademark on it. :-)