~Chapter 11; Charge Forward~

Start from the beginning

An informant, then?

While it wasn't a definite answer, Ayame reckoned it was a not-so-vague lead.

As she continued to think about the matter at hand, a young woman subtly approached her. Ignoring the presence, Ayame continued to stare out of the window.

"Emomoto-san, can I sit beside you?"

Ayame turned to see Hatsumomo Nectar, the Heroine of Thousand Mortem Blossom.

Inwardly, she allowed herself a sardonic smile. Another irregularity.

Ayame gave her a curt nod and continued staring out of the window, her mind now focusing on the moment that had just happened.

Ayame knew her behavior would be one of the causes for the plot of the novel to change, but so much had happened and she was sure the world did not revolve around her.

If Hatsumomo had been on Takumi's path, she would surely be cautious of Ayame, his fiancée. However, there was no telling if Hatsumomo was being cautious. She was fair and kind to everyone, despite of how she privately thought of them.

The class had begun.

Paying little attention to the lesson, she felt a pair of eyes staring at her. Discreetly examining the class, Ayame could not guess who was looking at her. She turned back to the lesson.

...

Ayame's Swordmanship lesson was one with all of the Love Interests, but curiously, not the Heroine herself. Surely, if all of the main protagonists of the novel appeared, the most important one of all would be near?

The professor told them to separate into pairs.

"I think I want to spar with Keiji." said Takumi with a laugh, as he added, "I don't feel like being brought to my knees in front of the whole class."

With this sentence, he dispelled any future rumors that Ayame would rather spar with Jiro than her own fiancé.

Ayame brandished a wooden sword and locked eyes with Jiro, who stood opposite her.

Jiro had been skilled with a sword, finding himself equal with Haru, the future Head Knight, so many were curious to see if Ayame was truly as skilled as the rumors had said.

A swift blur. The dull thunk of wood landing against wood.

Ayame had parried Jiro's blow.

The sparring had started so quickly that some had blinked and missed the abrupt movement of wooden swords.

After successfully parrying all of Jiro's attacks, Ayame started edging forward, as calm and composed as ever. Her sword style changed, those with sharp eyes could tell. The one she had used to parry his blows was just that: a defensive sword style, effective and swift. The one she had changed was merciless and swift, purely offensive.

When Jiro had adjusted and found a pace Ayame changed sword styles so quickly hardly anyone noticed. This continued until Ayame locked eyes with him, her violet eyes slightly playful.

"Want me to take you seriously, Ji-san?"

Her voice echoed in his ears as she fought him brilliantly, unrelenting and not once lowering her guard.