~Chapter 11; Charge Forward~

The sun had risen, Ayame realized, as the golden rays peeked through their curtains. The young woman was sitting on her bed with a vague expression, already dressed in her uniform as she pondered the events of the previous night.

"Information is power, as valuable as it is Amethyst and Jade."

Today is the first day of term, and Ayame felt like she hadn't slept much.

Eventually, she decided to leave her dorm room and head to the commercial district of the Academy, opting for a quick meal before wandering the grounds once more.

How Jiro found her while she was drinking lobster soup was a mystery to her, but she didn't mind his company as he drew a chair and sat opposite her, ordering his food as he ran a hair through his hair.

She glanced at him as he sat there, straight-backed and as laid-back as one could be, wondering if everyone would turn out the same as Aurora.

Ayame inwardly shook herself.

She didn't need to think about unnecessary things like that in the morning.

...

The classroom was filled with the natural hubbub it usually held. Young men and women alike introduced themselves to one another, forming bonds--whether they were sincere or not was anyone's guess--and talking to each other happily.

Ayame entered the room and people tended to find themselves glancing at her prominent figure. She was one of the few who had been able to fight off the intruders, though it was true that what had happened to her was the one kept the most quiet. Rumors spread that she had even been summoned by the Headmaster for a formal conversation.

Not only that, but she was Ayame Yuna Emomoto, little sister of Keiji Nagasaki Emomoto, a young man who was especially skilled in the magic of water, popular among the unengaged young women and an attractive bachelor who was fair and friendly. Ayame wasn't just her brothers sister, she was the first Onyx and Light Wielder in what seemed like a thousand years.

Childhood friends with Jiro Chiroko, Fianceé of the Second Prince, on speaking terms with Haru Benjiro Daisuke, Ayame seemed to be an influencial young woman who, though not many people were acquainted with her, was friendly with the right people.

Still, as many piercing stares landed on her petite figure, Ayame remained as impassive and as blank as she had been when she had entered the room. No one could tell what she was thinking as she sat down beside an empty chair, looking out of the window indifferently.

Eventually, no one minded her, but Ayame could feel them glance at her from time to time.

The class was due in a couple of minutes. If Ayame was correct, the Heroine would appear and choose a seat beside a lonely-looking girl, instead of the empty seat beside Ayame. The latter would then be personally offended, and, though she would not disrupt the class, she would embarrass the Heroine afterwards, making her look like an uneducated commoner.

Ayame, however, was busy thinking of a single sentence, disregarding the rest of the day as she repeatedly analyzed the sentence in her mind.

"Information is power, valuable as it is Amethyst and Jade."

Information is power.. Where would one seek information?

Perhaps some would go the local tavern, to ask for the local rumors and such, but Ayame needed something much more substantial than rumors circulating the city. She needed someone who had their sources, a person dealing with secrets and hidden happenings...