AFTER TOKYO | 1. Sydney Harbour

SYD Flight Layover
Seventeen Hours Ago

6:12 AM

"I hate you," she whispered, jaw clenched as the tear-drenched letter drifted away in the harbor

"I hate you," she whispered, jaw clenched as the tear-drenched letter drifted away in the harbor. She didn't run after it. Instead, she watched it disappear into the horizon. She didn't need to hold on to something that no longer existed.

What a splendid start she'd had. He left her for good while she was thousands of miles away. He'd cowardly emailed her his breakup letter, hours before the clock struck twelve on New Year's Eve. And she was an idiot for reading it a few hours before her flight back to Dubai. Did he really think she wouldn't have the time to check her mail?

She hardly slept a wink, her eyes swollen. How was she going to face everyone looking like this?

The rare summer winds had stopped, but as her striking raven-black hair waltzed recklessly as she ran, her emotions continued to sway. The voice in her head was driving her to lunacy, her heart to emotional suicide. She had to slow down her pace to rest her shaky knees. The pain that's causing her was unbearable. She had to do something fast before it destroyed her.

But how does one close a story that was never meant to end? How does one pause a love sonata in mid-piece and not expect a disgruntled audience?

As she sat on the steps of the opera house, Veronica Ramos looked at the faint orange streaks in the sky. The sun was breaking out of the clouds and a fleet of birds soared in a beautiful formation.

Painful tears escaped from the corners of her blue-green eyes. Although a long distance away from where it all began, the backdrop reminded her so much of their first sunrise together. This seemed like the perfect time to compose a letter to him. No pen and paper required. Just her heart and the stinging ink that came with it.

It didn't matter how she'd say it. She would send him a letter through the harbor waters, hopefully reaching the shores of Chesapeake Bay. This was the only way. Because she was never going to see him. Ever again.

This will be her own version of a break-up letter. Distant and final.

 Distant and final