Chapter 1: All Things Considering

~Nora~

1 hour later

The boys had fallen asleep in the backseat of my car while I waited, but I was on high alert. Every sound of a car door shutting or chatter in the distance had me reaching for the small handgun I had on me at all times. I was beyond against firearms around the boys before, but with a past like mine, I never knew when I might need it. I was careful and made sure that it was out of reach at all times, but in situations like this, I was glad I had listened to my therapist when she suggested I find ways to make myself feel safe again.

Although carrying a firearm might not have been what she meant, the gun made me feel safe. The cold metal, the firmness of the trigger between my fingers—it gave me peace to know that with it, I could take the life of anyone who endangered me or my children.

I wasn't strong enough before, but I sure as heck would not hesitate now to put a bullet between my ex-husband's eyes. It gave me comfort to think about it sometimes, but that was only when I thought he was dead and I knew it would never happen. Now, I wasn't sure if I would ever feel safe again, because if this wasn't Rigs, and he really was dead, who the heck was threatening me and my children?

The faint sound of motorcycles closing in from the distance gave me slight relief, especially when I heard them getting closer. I looked out the window to see three bikes approaching from the opposite side of the street and when they pulled in next my car, I was happy to confirm they were all Hell's Tribe members.

I stepped out of my car, careful to close the door as quietly as possible to not wake the boys before I ran toward the three men in cuts. I was surprised when it was only three of them and even more surprised to see that they were being led by Cash McPherson. Last I'd heard, he was only the V.P, but the confidence and power he had as he walked over to me was very archetypical of a president. I knew the look from experience. My dad had been one for over twenty years, my husband was one, and I had seen countless men with the title come and go through my childhood home since I could remember.

"Nora," Cash called, walking over to me calmly. He placed his hands on my shoulders reassuringly looking me over as if he was assessing for damages. "Are you alright?" he asked.

I nodded, looking behind him to only Ricky and the kid that used to be the prospect. "All things considering, I guess. Please tell me there's more of you?" I asked.

Cash winced. "Unfortunately, we're all you got right now, babe."

My mouth fell open. "Are you kidding me? Rigs is alive and probably after every single one of us and all you've got is three of you?" I raged.

I could see all three men holding back a smile, but this was not a joking matter—especially when my children's lives were at stake.

"My dad's in Florida, visiting my grandma—she's not doing too well, and the rest of the guys are doing a run in Colorado. We were the only ones at the clubhouse when Knox called and we didn't wanna waste any time calling the others," Cash explained.

I let out a breath, hating his answer but appreciating that he just up and left to drive an hour all the way here at almost midnight.

"Okay," I breathed. "I'm just freaking the fudge out right now," I admitted. Granted my situation warranted a fuck, but it was a habit from my time with Rigs that I just couldn't break. He hated it when I swore—said it wasn't lady-like. So even though he had been gone for a while now. I tended to avoid cursing ever since.

Ricky held back a smirk as he nodded his head in understanding. "We get it. This is confusing for all of us, trust me."

"We're gonna figure it out," Cash promised.