19: Enter Rufus

Two days later, the three of them stood on the outskirts of Port Thunder. With rain pouring down, flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder, the town was certainly living up to its name.

They were wearing rain ponchos to keep from getting entirely soaked. Their clothes were still damp, though, making them shiver as they stood there, wondering where to go.

It could be worse, Samara reminded herself. It could be winter.

"We'll find a place to stay for tonight, out of the rain," Leela said.

"Thank goodness, I can't wait to have a hot shower," Samara said.

She hadn't had a real bath or shower since leaving their home more than a week ago. Bathing in the river had been good enough, but she craved the feeling of nice, hot water to get clean. First, a shower, then a warm bath to soothe her aching muscles.

Kit said her uncle lived on the other side of town in a boathouse so they agreed to let her stay with them one more night—they would take her to her uncle the next day. Samara felt a twinge of sadness about the girl leaving them. She had grown fond of Kit. Kit brought lightness and humor to their lives despite the growing cloud of Cyril's threats.

They splashed through puddles around town until they found a motel that they could afford. It wasn't fancy, but all they cared about was having a bed and a shower for the night—even saggy mattresses would be better than the hard, wet ground.

They found an Inn that was part of a pub and grill, which meant they could also have a real meal for the first time in what seemed like forever.

"We have to be careful with the money," Leela warned. "We're almost out."

"What about the card?" Samara asked. They had also taken the emergency credit card Kalahari kept in a cookie jar.

"Only if we have to," Leela replied.

The girls showered and put on fresh clothes. Samara washed all their dirty clothes in the bathtub and then hung them up to dry so they would be ready to put back in their bags the next morning. She wished she could climb into the tub and soak, but they were hungry. A hot bath would have to come later.

They let their rumbling stomachs lead the way to the pub downstairs. When they left their room, they heard the loud thumping of bass music. It sounded like a party was going on below.

When they reached the first floor, they heard live music playing from the pub. There were guitars and drums and a male singer belting out a rock song. The music was coming from the smoking section. Cigarette smoke poured out of the open door as someone came out and the smell of liquor was heavy in the air. People were sitting at the tables eating and drinking while enjoying the live band on stage.

Samara and Leela took Kit to the other side of the pub where it was family-friendly and smoke free. They sat down and ordered their food. They could still hear the band playing, but at least they were far from the gross smells.

"I don't know about you, but I could use a beer right about now," Leela said.

"You're not old enough though," Samara replied.

"Then I guess you'll have to go get them," Leela replied smugly.

Samara rolled her eyes and sighed. She knew it wasn't a big deal for Leela to have a drink, she was only a few months away from her eighteenth birthday. Still, it didn't seem necessary at the time.

"Can I have one?" Kit asked.

"No." Samara scoffed.

Kit pouted.