The Ways In Which You'd Say My Name

I love it when you say my name.

The way you pronounce it makes me smile every time.

The fact that my name registers in your brain, forms in your mouth and rolls off of your tongue on the daily is enough permission for butterflies to make themselves comfortable in my stomach.

And the fact that you almost always say it with a smile is enough to give me hope for the impossible.

You've said my name in three
different ways since I've known you:
formally, friendly, and thankfully.

I can only imagine how it would sound if you said it in other ways,
And I have a vivid imagination.

Quietly: You'd whisper my name to me if you wanted to speak to me in private. You'd say it softly and gently, with one hand squeezing mine and the other caressing my tear-streaked face, as I broke down in front of you. You would clamp a hand over my mouth and whisper it to me scoldingly as a warning not to make too much noise as you touched me in places you knew you shouldn't.

Happily: You would say my name and give me a special smile as I passed you, one that I would return. You would say it excitedly as I told you the congratulatory news in my life. You would say it as I unexpectedly showed up to see you, just so we could talk. You'd say it while teasing me about how I react around you.

Loudly: You'd call for me when you thought I might be in danger, or if you needed me. You'd playfully mimick me. You'd say it in a drunk daze as you told me how you felt about me.

Lovingly: You and I would be wrapped in an embrace after a hard day and you'd softly sigh my name while comfortingly rubbing my back. You'd breathe it in between slow, sweet kisses. You would say it with so much relief when I told you that your confession was mutual. You'd wake me up every morning by whispering it to me. After we would finish lovemaking, you would embrace me and kiss me and say my name in a tone that translated to the words "I love you."

Lustfully: You would say my name slowly, seductively, as your fingers carefully trailed down my spine when no one was looking. You would whisper it to me dangerously, leaving red bruises on my neck with your lips and marking me as yours. You would moan it the first time I found the courage to rock my own hips against your lap. You would say it repeatedly, desperately, as we took each other to the heights of human pleasure in the sheets, and you would shout it as we'd hit the peak.

The ways in which you would say my name if the time was right and if you felt the same as I do are a variety of twists and turns, different paths filled with beautiful mysteries, haunting emotions, and exhilarating dangers.

But for now, and likely for ever, you will only say my name the same few ways you always have. And I, as someone who cannot express that I want you to say my name in these ways without digging a ditch between the two of us, must never tell you of these desires.

Both of us would be in grave danger, and then we could not be together whether you wanted to or not.

So, I am content with hearing you say my name in the same three ways. Your presence itself is enough to make me blush.
Though I may want more from you,
I know that I will not recieve.

I learn to love you from afar,
And love
In silence.