"A psychic must force it out," Emma explained. "And the only way to keep it entering anyone else is with psychic force. Also, it can't enter people who can change their form, so Colossus, Kitty and Bobby should be safe."

Rogue supposed she could absorb one of them before she went to see Jean, but that didn't offer Scott or the psychics any protection.

"Are you strong enough?" Hank asked Xavier. "No offence, but you have tried to fight the Phoenix before."

"Then I was trying to trap it's power within Jean's mind, this time I will be forcing it from her mind. Emma has also agreed to help me; I think you will agree that two psychics will be better than one."

'Unless she still has an agenda,' Rogue thought.

"So when do we leave?" Scott asked, seemingly having no thoughts for his own safety.

"As soon as possible. At the moment, Jean is lucid, but there is no telling when the Phoenix might reappear."

Everyone began to stand up.

"One more thing!" The butts that had been hovering over seats descended once again and everyone turned to the professor. "Mr LeBeau. First I would like to thank you, and congratulate you on rescuing Rogue. We all owe you a huge debt of gratitude. Secondly, I would like to invite you to accompany us on this mission."

"I was planning on it," Remy smiled. Invulnerable or not, there was no way he would let Rogue go into battle without him at her side.

"Good." The professor smiled warmly. "Now, let us see if we cannot rescue our last missing team member."

On the plane ride to Nebraska they discussed their plan. Scott and Rogue were the first wave, they would approach Jean and try to talk her down. Remy argued that he hadn't attacked Jean either and should be allowed to accompany them, and eventually the professor agreed.

Behind them would come Bobby, Piotr and Kitty since they were immune from being possessed by the Phoenix, with the Professor and Emma, who were supposed to expel it from Jean and keep themselves, Rogue, Remy and Scott safe from it.

The rest of the X-Men would be the final line of defence should the others fail.

Plans went back and forth on the specifics for a long time. Could Jean decide to cooperate or would the Phoenix defend itself, taking her over again? The latter seemed likely, so what were they to do then?

It was suggested that Rogue drain Jean, that they stop off in New Orleans for one of those power suppression collars, and that they hit her really hard on the head.

Rogue draining Jean was ruled out because the Phoenix could pass to her, especially since she would have Jean's power for a time and would look like a good candidate to the entity.

The power suppression collar might not work on the Phoenix, only stop Jean from using her powers against it, so that too was ruled out. No one really wanted to hit Jean on the head and anyway, she was a telekinetic, so getting close enough to strike a blow was unlikely.

Rogue was hunched over, staring at the floor as she listened to the discussion with growing guilt but nevertheless, unable to speak up.

"This is Jean we're talking about!" Scott finally yelled. "We can't hurt her!"

The pain in his voice broke Rogue's heart.

"Scott, as much as I don't like the idea, we may have to," the professor said kindly.

Rogue felt like the lowest of the low. No, she was worse than that, she was scum. This was Jean they were talking about and as much as she might not like the girl at times, Jean needed her help.