Now he remembered. The horrible knot if fear that had been dwelling his his stomach for days had just grown, and he was certain that it would continue growing until the Phoenix was defeated and Rogue was safe. But then as an X-Man, would she ever be safe?

It was far too late for this revelation though, he had already fallen for her and even just the thought of leaving her hurt. It was like his body physically rebelled at the idea and he could no more turn his back on her and return to his playboy lifestyle, than he could cut his own arm off. He would just have to do everything in his power to ensure that she wasn't hurt, though he had a feeling that might be easier said than done.

In the end it took fourteen straight hours for Emma to reach the professor and pull him out of the nightmare he was constantly reliving. Unfortunately, he still didn't wake up.

Hank ran scans and confirmed that the professor was just unconscious, not in a coma any longer. He theorised that the professor was mentally exhausted and would wake up once he was rested.

Another new development that evening, was that Kitty seemed to take a lot more interest in Rogue and Remy's relationship. She hadn't dared to question her friend before but now that she had got to know Remy a little, she seemed to feel that she had cart blanche to ask whatever she liked. At least she did so while they were alone in Kitty's bedroom and not in public.

"So, have you and Remy...?"

"What?" Rogue frowned at her friend, confused.

"You know, had..." she apparently could say the word so she mouthed the letters S E and X.

"What! No! Kitty! My mutation, remember?"

"Well yeah," Kitty looked crestfallen. "But there must be stuff you can do."

"Kitty."

"I mean as long as one of you is clothed and gloved, then there's lots of stuff you can do."

"Kitty!"

"And maybe you can get one of those black PVC suits to have-" again she mouthed the word SEX.

"Kitty, I am not dressing myself or my boyfriend up in PVC just so that I can have sex. Besides, the point of sex is to get closer, to share something, right? What's the point in doing that if we can't touch? Where's the intimacy?"

"Well have you at least kissed?"

"I don't think even a PVC sex outfit would help with that."

"So, is that why you don't hang around with him much any more?"

"What?"

"Remy, it's like you're avoiding him."

"I am not!"

"Sure, that's why you're in here with me, after spending the whole day locked in with the professor."

"I've spent the last few weeks only with Remy, is it so wrong to want to spend time with my friends now that I know you're not dead?"

"Yeah but-"

"NO! Kitty, drop it, okay. I do not want to talk about this."

"Okay, okay." Kitty must have realised that Rogue had reached her limit and backed off. "So, what was New Orleans like?"

That was a fairly safe topic, so Rogue answered. Thankfully Kitty left things alone after that. Well, for now.

The next day, conscious of Kitty's observation that she was avoiding Remy, Rogue arranged to have lunch with him in the Winebago. Well, actually on the lawn outside since it was a nice day, and it was nice and public so that people could see them spending time together. Rogue made sandwiches and lemonade and Remy spread a blanket on the grass for them, like they were having a picnic.