"Brought you some dinner," Remy said handing her a plate.

Emma accepted it without comment. Remy turned another mop bucket over and sat opposite her.

"What are you even doing here?" Emma asked with disdain.

"The friend I introduced you to is an X-Man."

Emma raised a haughty eyebrow. "You must have it bad."

"Somethin' like that," Remy chuckled. "But that don't matter right now."

"So you're here to play good cop?"

"You know me, chère, I don't play games. I'm here to tell you how it is." He gave her a moment to process his words before continuing. "I know you ain't a coward, Emma, and I know you ain't as bad ass as you like to make out. These people are hurting because of something you and your friends did. Why not make it right and try to help them?"

"I can't help. No one can help." She enunciated each word as though she were talking to a simpleton. "The Phoenix cannot be controlled or contained. It is as old as humanity itself, maybe older, and it is far more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

"If that's true, how come you were helping the Hellfire Club? No offence, chère, but the thing you do best is look after number one."

"I saw inside Jean's head," Emma admitted "We thought it was prudent to look into her mind before the attack, so that we had a clear picture if what we were dealing with. As the strongest psychic, I was chosen for the task as too many of us trying to enter her head would be noticed. That's how I know everything about the Phoenix, because it showed me, and that's why I left the club."

"Emma, the X-Men aren't going to ask you to defeat the Phoenix, just help find it, and maybe help the professor if you can."

"Professor Xavier?"

"That's him. The Phoenix did something to him and he's in a coma."

Emma was silent for a moment, contemplating her options.

"I will look in the professors head and see what happened to him, but I make no promises about being able to wake him up."

"Fair enough. And tracking Jean?"

"You're on your own," she declared. "But maybe if I can wake the Professor up, you won't need me."

Remy nodded slowly. At least it was something.

"I'll tell Logan, see if we can't do something about getting you a real bed for the night."

"That would be appreciated."

Remy stopped at the door and turned back. "I wouldn't think about escaping if I were you. Logan is a very light sleeper and he can smell deceit on people." He wasn't quite sure if that was true but it seemed like it could be. "Trust me when I say, you don't want to be on his bad side."

"Like you are by dating his favourite student?"

Remy flashed her a rakish smile. "You know me, chère, I always did like to live dangerously." He knocked twice on the door and Logan opened it. "Emma is going to see if she can help the professor. Can we find her accommodations for the night?"

"What about Jean?"

"One thing as a time. Besides if she can wake up Xavier, you won't need her any more."

Logan grunted and looked into the small room at Emma, who was delicately eating her food as best she could with her fingers.

"Don't go anywhere," Logan told her before slamming and locking the door on her. "Come on, Gumbo, let's see who wants to share a room with the white bitch."