xviii. death of a love

Start from the beginning

"Have you been watching me all along?" I probed as I grew skeptical of this dream. "Our souls have grew conscious of each other." Jen implied. "I pretended to be you." My mouth confessed, hardly. "And how did it do you, Jennie?" She quickly retorted a question. Her tone, her voice, her accent was like hearing myself talking. It was bizarre and unimaginable but here we are.

"I've broken and fooled a lot of people, including myself. I ruined everything. But I still don't understand why I'm here? Why am I in your shoes? Why am I living your life?" I baffled myself.

"Because back in your timeframe, you forgot to live yours." She etched the words right into my ego.

"Since when did the universe started to reprimand people on how to live their life? It was my choice to give up." I argued.

"But life didn't want you to. The universe gives no reason to the unexplainable, instead it lets you experience the nature of it. You have forgotten who you are, and now that you've given an identity and a different life and expect it to live it as it should be, that's when you begin to remember the soul you thought you've lost. You begin to remember that you have an identity of your own. You have always been Jennie Kim, and you can't be anyone else."

"Does that mean that I need to go back to my time frame and live for myself?"

"It's your choice. At some moments, you get to take control of the universe." 

"I did have those moments, but I messed it up even more. What should I do now?"

"Well, that would be tricky because now you have a lot of possible denouements to face since you just changed the way how my life should've sequenced itself because you expressed bits of yourself in my life."

"What do you mean?"

"I am purely a business person who loves to administrate and govern but when you segued way your artistic personality into my life, then a glitch happened. And it got worse, when you chose to be a part of Roseanne's life because it affected the fate that me and Lisa had." Her words brought clarity to my understanding. I didn't know the system worked like that because if I did, Roseanne would never know that a Jen Kim exists. I thought in regret. "If you engage with people whose not meant to be in my life in the first place, then the stars realign, time reassigns itself, and fate will alter. Whatever future that a soul has it will change, including the future of their other reincarnated souls." Jen continued.

"So you mean I need to align your life to what it should have been?" I asked for clarity. But before she could reply, the train squealed as it made a sudden stop. I, for myself, was nervous. I didn't know what was going on. "We're here. Follow me." Her tone was now adamant as she quickly went off her seat and went to the exit. My feet, of course, automatically followed.

As my sandals cracked into the marble ground I instantly knew where I was. "Grand Central Station..." I muttered as the same 60s vintage ambiance welcomed me, "I own this too." She declared over her shoulder. I could only huff a smirk out of her bluntness. We think alike.

People in the area were in fur coats, turtle necks, leather, berets, and beanies. A widespread of glee were sketched on their faces as their steps were as jolly as their eyes. It clearly was a busy holiday because everyone was everywhere. Children were as twice as merry and the atmosphere was just full of delight. I quickly knew what kind of celebration we were in—Christmas.

We stepped out from the terminal and went out to the main concourse, where the volume of people doubled. "Where are we going again?" I accommodated Jen by the side as we walk prudently, her orbs knew where we were heading while I seemed headless. "Somewhere familiar to the both of us." She revealed with a tone so concrete that I couldn't stop being nervous myself.