TWENTY-EIGHT

Clementine
AJ rests against Willy, who is half dozed against the walls of the truck. Louis is asleep too, although it doesn't look comfortable on the angle he's laying on. The dawn light shines in the back of the open truck, Javi outside, trying to add to our minor food supply. Violet, of course, is asleep too. I slowly lean away from her, resting her head against the side of the truck. Violet winces with her eyes close, before slumping down into a laying position. I sigh, and stand up. Gabe notices me.
"Oh, hey, Clem" He says, getting up too. I give him a weak smile. Somehow, I just don't want to hang around with him at the moment.
"Hi, Gabe." I said. I see Gavin sleeping here too. "Is...Cian driving?"
"Riding shotgun, Javi will." Gabe says. "When he gets back."
I sigh, and sit at the edge of the truck, feet dangling over.
"Everything sucks." I murmur, swinging even my fake leg back and forth. "I've lost almost everyone I know."
"Same." Gabe says, staring out into the trees. "Mariana...Kate...Dad."
"Yeah. I...don't want to flex, or anything...but I've lost way more people." I said. Gabe nods.
"Yeah. I know. But it still hurts the same." He stares at the few stars still left in the sky. "You have AJ, though."
"Yeah, I do." I wince. "Thank god he isn't gone."
"It makes you sad." Gabe said. It wasn't a question. "To think over all the people who have died."
I nod, trying to stop the tears. "It hurts. So much."
"Yes." Gabe says. He opens his mouth to say more, but then shuts it.
"I could've died." I said. "All those people who died for me, and for what? They would've died for nothing, Gabe."
"They wouldn't have died for nothing!" Gabe exclaims. "Clem, those people who died weren't idiots. They knew you were going to survive this long. You and AJ both."
I take a deep breath. "Still. The ones that did...I always imagined them to be here with me. Forever."
Silence.
"It's hard." I continue. My lip quivers. "I never..." One weak tear trembles down my cheek. "I never asked for them to get hurt." I close my eyes shut tightly, so the tears squeeze out, before wiping my eyes. Gabe awkwardly wraps his arm around my waist, and guides me closer to him.
"I'm sorry." He whispers. "God, I can see how hard that is on you."
"No shit." I mumble. I shake my head, and wipe the remaining tears. "I'm...fine."
Gabe unwraps his arm.
I turn to smile at Gabe, but looking at him...I realise that it's harder than I thought. I sob again. Gabe looks at me sympathetically as I stare through the trees, the sun rising between them. I cry harder, but not loud, in case anybody else wakes up. Gabe doesn't say anything, and I let out everything I've been too scared to release.
"Clementine." Gabe says, and I reach in to hug him. Gabe hesitantly hugs back, and when he does, it's tight enough that I have to pull away to stop labouring my breathing.
"I'm fine." I say, again, except I try not to urge anymore tears by staring Gabe directly in his eyes. We only hear the loud chirps of a bird, before the rustling of the trees. Then more silence. Awkward silence.
Gabe moves his arm to support him to stand up. I panic, not wanting him to leave. I turn and press my lips against his for a second before flinching away.
Gabe's eyes are wide. "Umm..."
I frown, and panic harder. "I'm...sorry. Please! Don't tell Violet!"
I feel a deep twinge of regret.
Gabe is flustered.
"S-sure" He staggers. I nod, mouth open, before leaning on my fake leg to walk back to my spot next to Violet, my palms sweaty. I hear Gabe walking back to his own spot, and bury my face into my blanket.
Oh. My. God.
...
AJ
"Did you find food?" I ask Javi when he comes back. I catch sight of an empty game bag. He shakes his head.
"Sorry, AJ." He mutters, dumping the bag in the floor of the truck, and sitting next to Gabe. "It's just too close to Winter."
"Seems like yesterday it was still a flaming hot summer." Violet said with a scowl. "Right, Clem?"
Clementine looks up, startled. "Ye-yes."
Violet gives Clem a strange look. Clementine smiles back, and starts fiddling with her blanket. Something Clementine would never usually do.
"Foood ish runnning ou" Louis says.
Willy gives a mournful sigh. "Whatever. We can go by with the food we have now."
I look at Willy. "I know you're sad about Aasim and Ruby, but that food is running out." I say. Willy gives a surprised glance. "Besides." I say. "We don't plan to improvise."
"AJ is right." Cian says. "Winter being here isn't an excuse. In fact, that's something that stopping us have food. We have to find something."
"We are literally out in Ivan Range." Gabe shudders. "There's no civilisation for miles."
I shake my head. "There's...really nothing, isn't there?"
Clementine sighs. "Looks like it."
Louis jumps up. "I don knoww bout' ou, but I am nott staarrvingg ou deafff"
Everyone gives confused glances at eachother. Louis groans.
"AJ, Com ith ee oo fffiiind foood." He says, grabbing his old arrows. I look at Clementine, who shakes her head worriedly.
"Why not?" I plead. "It's worth a try."
Clementine sighs, and leans back, her worried frown still on her face. "Louis, if AJ dies out there, you'll follow, understand?"
Louis nods, and grins. I jump up, knife and gun in hand.
"Wanna come, Willy?" I ask. Willy opened his mouth, and shuts it again, looking away. He gives a small shake. "Okay then."
Louis and I jump down from the back of the truck, and venture out into the woods, not looking behind us.