Clever Girl

We were up at the crack of dawn the next morning, which felt like torture because we didn't get to bed until after one the night before. But I had a fresh change of clothes—a tunic and hose, not unlike the ensemble Samantha and her huntsmen wore—which received a few shocked second glances from passing servants and courtiers alike, but it was much more comfortable and practical than anything else I'd worn since first arriving here. The weight of my new sword at my hip was comforting, and the Book was safely stored in my (slightly bloodstained) backpack.Charming did one last favor for us, for which I couldn't thank him enough. Well, two favors, really. First, he gave us each a pouch full of gold coins.

"This should keep you able to afford a roof over your heads and a meal in your bellies for a while," he had said, handing them over.

"We can't accept—" I'd begun to protest purely out of knee-jerk politeness. Erik elbowed me in the ribs to shut me up, but it turned out he didn't need to.

"I'm a prince," Charming had laughed. "I think I can afford to pay you for your services."

And then, to my even greater surprise, he gifted us each a horse from the royal stables.

"You'll make much better time on horseback," he said, patting the flank of a bored-looking dappled gelding. "It's a day's ride to the farms on Lorcastle's eastern border."

"I don't know how we can ever repay you for this," I said in wonder, staring at the horses. I hadn't been this close to a real horse since I was eight year old on a school field trip to a farm, and he was just giving it to me?

Charming laughed. "I'm the one who's repaying you. I wouldn't have a wonderful bride waiting for me right now if it weren't for you three." Then he paused and pulled a face. "Or rather, I probably would, but I'd likely also have De Leon for a mother-in-law. Either way, you have done me a great service."

We said our goodbyes to Alfred at the palace gates

We said our goodbyes to Alfred at the palace gates. I made a scene by crying into his fur.

"Come on Rikki," Erik growled impatiently, rolling his eyes. "It's not like you're never going to see him again."

"Y-you don't know that!" I wailed tearfully.

"Don't fear, Miss Rikki. I'm sure we shall meet again soon enough," Alfred assured me.

I sniffed, and released him from my stranglehold, wiping my nose with my sleeve. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I'm just so grateful for everything you did to help us even though you didn't have to. I really hope the... the B.B.W.L.F. finds success. I'm sure you'll do great things, Alfred."

"Come to visit once you've completed the rest of your journey," he replied, patting me kindly on the shoulder with one massive paw. "With a little luck and a lot of hard work, I'll have a rehabilitation center to show you!"

I promised we would, though despite Erik's claim, I couldn't help but worry that this might indeed be the last time we saw him.

But I knew I couldn't put off the inevitable for long. I eventually pulled myself together, and detached from Alfred's slightly damp fur.