Contracts and a Dodgy Dinner

Erik had somehow found a slightly grimy looking wrap bandage among the clutter on the table, and was tending to my sore ribs in terse silence. I was in no position to complain, especially since I had gone a little woozy when I first lifted my torn and stained shirt to expose the already ugly, purpling bruises that were spreading across my ribs and back.

          "Alright," he finally grunted, knotting the bandage in place. "That will have to do for now. You'll have to go to town if you want proper care." He gave me a hard look, narrowing his eyes. "You're not from town, are you?" he asked, in an almost accusing tone. "I don't recognize you. Where are you from? And what were you doing out here? Especially with a pack of mongrels on your heels like that?"

          I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. "I, uh... no, I'm not from around here," I began slowly. True enough. As for what I had been doing out in the middle of the forest, running for my life from hungry wolves? That was going to be a little harder to explain. "Well... it's kind of a long story," I said, lamely.

          Erik gazed back at me impassively. "We've got plenty of time," he replied.

          I squirmed uncomfortably under his icy stare. "Well, I was... I mean, I guess..." I floundered for an excuse. The truth wouldn't do; at least, not the whole truth. "I got lost while traveling; managed to lose the path, you know? I was wandering around the woods, calling out and stuff, which in hindsight was a pretty stupid thing to do, but I was hoping at the time someone would hear me and come help. Instead, I managed to get some much less welcome attention. The wolves, I mean. And they started coming after me, so I ran, and ended up falling through your roof," I finished, a little proud of how well I handled Erik's scrutiny: completely honest, and utterly vague.

          "Mm hm," he said, clearly not believing a word. "And where is it you were traveling to before you got lost?"

          "Uh... west?" I tried.

          "West. Of course." Erik wasn't convinced in the slightest, but to my relief, for some reason he didn't press me any further.

          "Look," I said, changing tack. "I need to go... that is, I need to find... well, I'm not entirely sure. Where are we, exactly?"

          Erik raised an eyebrow at me. "My house," he replied.

          "Yes, I got that, but I mean... where is your house located?"

          "In the Forest."

          "Yes, alright. Duly noted. But in what territory does this forest fall into?"

          "...The Kingdom. I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this."

          This clearly wasn't working.

          "That town you mentioned; how soon can I get there?" I asked instead. Maybe I could find a witch or a fortune teller or something in the town. Did witches live in towns? Or would I have to go searching around enchanted groves until I stumbled upon a tiny cottage? Surely some witches had to prefer city life.

          "It's only about a half a day's walk from here," Erik said. "Since you seem to have such a difficult time staying on paths," he went on, shooting me an accusing look, "I can show you the way. After, of course, you repair my roof."

          "Oh. You were serious about that."

          "Of course I was. I rarely kid."

          "See, the thing is," I replied, trying to look as pitiful as I possibly could, "I can barely make a birdhouse that doesn't collapse in a strong wind. I don't really think I'll be of much help; I'll probably do more harm than good if I try."