"Hey." He said quietly, not wanting to scare her. Kaycee's eyes were scrunched closed and her lips were pursed tight, fighting against the pain as the needle worked its way across her skin. Sean couldn't see what she was having done because the artist covered whatever she was working on.

Kaycee opened her eyes but didn't say anything. She extended her free hand to him, eyes pleading for support, so he took it without a word.

"Almost done." The artist lady said.

Sean heard Kaycee sigh in relief, so he gripped her hand tighter.

"What design did you get?" He asked, trying to distract her from the pain.

"Hmmmm it's a secret." She hummed, smiling at him mischievously. He rolled her eyes at her and looked around the shop, eyeing the framed designs and little trinkets on the walls.

Eventually, his gaze landed on a little metal tray next to the artist. Among her tools and things was a small piece of paper with something written on it.

"Is that...?" Sean trailed off. Without even thinking, he let go of Kaycee's hand and made this way to the other side to inspect the little sheet of paper.

"Noooo!" Kaycee whined, trying to stop him. "I said it's a surprise."

But it was too late. Sean held the paper close to his face, forcing his eyes to focus on the little design. Once his vision sharpened and his mind finally registered what he was seeing, he let out a small gasp.

"No, Kayc." He said, voice just above a whisper. Before he could say more, the artist straightened up and stretched her hands.

"All done!" She announced. Sean looked down at the finished work, and his mouth fell open.

There it was, on Kaycee's left hand, where her ring finger met her knuckle - two small letters imprinted in black ink.

A bold capital "S". Right next to it, just a little lower was a bold capital "K". The two letters were connected - the lower loop of the "S" meeting the side of the "K".

SK

SK

SK

Is that what I think it is?

"Yes," Kaycee said, face red, and he knew it wasn't because of the alcohol this time. Sean didn't realize her actually uttered those words aloud.

"But why?" Sean asked, head going dizzy with surprise. The alcohol was fading at this point, chased away by the shock of the whole situation.

"She said it should be something I hold in my heart, something so important to me that I need to keep close." Kaycee replied, voice slowly trailing off into a whisper.

Sean continued staring at the two small letters on her ring finger. But his reverie was broken when the artist began cleaning the tattoo and covered it with a small bandage.

"Keep the bandage on for about 12 hours. Then you can wash it with warm water and unscented soap. But be careful!" The artist instructed.

"Okay. Thank you." Kaycee replied, getting up from the chair. She wouldn't meet Sean's eyes, and began making her way to the counter to pay.

But Sean was momentarily frozen in his spot, then a switch flicked on in his head.

"My turn." He said, to the artist, taking the seat where Kaycee was just a few moments ago. He extended his left hand and looked up at the woman expectantly. She smiled down at him warmly and laughed, before sitting back down.