29: The Dream

DERRY - August 25th, 1990

I was standing in the middle of my old middle school playground back in Detroit. Back then, we had recess. I appeared to be the only one there. A lone bird sang in the distance.

I turned around and held back the urge to scream. There was a decomposing body with a noose around its neck, swinging lightly on the breeze. It was hung by the biggest playground structure, on the monkey bars. I wanted to run. I wanted to get away from this place. But instead, I felt myself being dragged towards the body. As I got closer, I got a whiff of a horrible decomposing smell and choked on the rancid air. When I was even closer, I recognized the young, pretty (yet gross) face of my childhood friend. It was Taryn. Her face was a fuschia color, her tongue hanging lightly out of her mouth. Her entire body was stiff.

Suddenly, her eyes fluttered open, making me jump and take a few lurching steps back. She raised her head from where it had been resting, and gave me a huge, rotting grin.

Old friend! The body seemed to speak. I missed you lots. How's Derry? Why'd you leave me?

Taryn, I managed to choke out. I would never leave you. What are you talking about?

Taryn's grin disappeared and turned into a stormy frown. She looked sad, but the position of her face and her eyes made her seem angry. I took another step back. Taryn's features became more blurry as I did.

Wouldn't you like to know, she weeped. After you left, I hanged myself. I couldn't live without you. This is all your fault. All your fault! All your fault!

She continued to chant, getting louder and louder. I covered my ears, tears running down my face. It was all my fault! Suddenly, Taryn was gone, and in her place was an older Charlotte. She was probably in her mid-twenties, but I knew it was her because of her reddish hair and light-colored eyes. She had a little son with her, with reddish hair as well. She saw me immediately and came to me.

Is that you, Y/n? She asked. Tears blurring my vision once again, I nodded.

What's going on? I cried out. Why are you so much older than I am?

Don't you remember? Charlotte asked. You were killed in a car crash in Derry. You were just learning how to drive.

What?! I gasped. No, I'm alive! You're not real, that's all!

Of course I am! She snapped, her eyes a blue fire. Why are you here? I don't know who you are!

I'm Y/n! I screamed. Please, Charlotte, I--

But now she was gone. In her place was that same clown that I saw on 29 Neibolt Street. He towered over me, maybe 7 feet tall at the least. He began to chase me, and I tried to hurriedly run away, but it was like running in water up to my head. Suddenly, the clown was on me, drooling like a dog. It opened its mouth wide like it had that one day, and lunged.

I woke up, breathing heavily. I was disoriented for a second and almost fell off the bed, but I caught myself just in time. It took me a few more seconds to get under control, and when I was, I found myself crying and shaking. After maybe 20 minutes of silent crying, I slid back under my covers and fell into a thin and uneasy sleep.