3: The Week

DERRY - June 2nd, 1990 through June 8th, 1990

I wish I could say that hanging out with the Losers Club was laid-back in that first week of summer. No, it ranged from from discussing politics in the park to spying on Eddie Kapsbrak's mom, from raging rock wars to bike races. This wasn't to say I was unhappy. I was extremely glad to be with my newfound friends (minus Richie; but then again, he got on everyone else's nerves too).

The day after Bev invited me into the club, we went to the park and just talked. Mainly about politics, which is something I refrained in talking about. So did Stanley. But, as an advantage, I got to know a lot more about everyone, but they all seemed to be hiding something from me. I tried to ignore it, but I grew increasingly more curious.

On June 3rd, Richie had a unique idea of spying on Eddie's mom. I was a bit uncertain about it, but Eddie seemed pretty cool with it. I don't know how to describe it, but the light in his eyes was one of anger and revenge. There was so much I still didn't know about this group!

Richie and I crept to the side of the house to peek into the kitchen. When we could confirm that she wasn't in there, we ushered Bill and Beverly to the other window. They whisper-shouted to us and madly gestured us over. We went over to their window, and we saw Eddie's mom, a great fat beast, applying thick red lipstick as she reclined in a reclining chair. We ducked down out of sight and tried to smother our giggles. Was it weird for a bunch of 14-year-olds spying on one of their friends' parents? Yes. But, I'll admit, it was really kind of funny.

On June 4th, we explored the Barrens, but nobody wanted to stay there any longer than we needed to. Stanley didn't even go down the slope. He ended up missing out on a massive (mock) rock war.

June 5th was rainy, so we just sort of stayed in our own homes. I had gotten so used to having friends, so I waited impatiently for the rain to end. Unfortunately, it didn't. The next day, I was happy to be outside again. Bill suggested bike racing, and I nearly won; Mike won, however, having so much experience carrying heavy meat in his basket while he rode his bike.

The next two days were rainy, but I think that was when the Losers Club officially accepted me as one of their own. Beverly and I were the closest, but Stanley was a close second. We shared stories together, and our houses were really close by. We rode together to get where the Losers Club was going to meet. He was definitely a nice kid, I thought. But something about him made him stick out from the others... I just couldn't put my finger on it.