'Sorry.' Hiccup adjusted his hold of the long weapon and kept walking. His missing leg was hurting again, despite being dampened by the bond between him and Toothless. 'I should have thought more carefully about how difficult something this long can be to hold. Maybe a shorter one would work better.'

'No. You should train until you can use that. The further away you can keep any attackers the better, but you don't have good teeth in case they get close. You should keep a couple of small blades with you when you aren't on the saddle.'

'I... could consider that if you don't make me throw them into a pond.'

'If you don't get your shield stuck.'

Hiccup got to the top of the village with a smile on his face. Other people were already gathering next to the arena and gave the half-human duo a wide berth.

'Remember to not scare them needlessly,' Hiccup said.

'I'll try. It will be difficult,' Toothless answered. He then turned to look at Hiccup and cooed. 'Are you sure you want to separate for this?' Hiccup didn't immediately answer, too focused on looking at his own feet.

'I guess we should. I have to admit the Chief is right. I've never felt as safe as with you, but if I can't even meet people without that... This whole training is going to be pointless if we don't separate. At least we don't have to do it later.'

'At least we don't get knocked out now after just one day. I can still look after you. If this wasn't for your... wellbeing... Still, some people are going to be anti-dragon and dragon's brother.'

They stopped at the edge of an opening where people were gathering with an assortment of weapons. Hiccup gulped and stopped for a moment.

"It's just like learning on the job," he said to himself. An old warrior stepped closer.

"So you are that kid who hides behind dragons?" This was a great start.

"Yeees," Hiccup said hesitantly and then tried to sound more confident, "but not today."

"Real Vikings only take cover behind their shield, and only until they are able to kill their enemy. The Chief ordered us to train you, but do not expect any special treatment." The man glanced at Hiccup's spear. "You fight with a spear, smart, in your size. Make sure your pet dragon stays here and get in with the beginners." He pointed at a group to the side closest to the arena and turned away. Hiccup faced Toothless. He held onto the shield and spear with one hand to caress the side of the dragon's head.

'It's time.' Hiccup started pulling away tendrils of his thoughts. He tensed, fearful of the snap he knew was coming. Suddenly a piece of himself was ripped away. Hiccup shuddered, gasping for the freezing air. His equipment felt heavier, the pain in his missing leg more severe. Toothless grunted and Hiccup heard him shifting or clawing at the ground, or something. The world was even darker and colder than before. They were still conscious though. Even if Hiccup needed a long moment to calm his breathing.

'This wasn't so hard after one day before we left Berk.' Hiccup had to send the thoughts to Toothless like any other dragon now. It was difficult just to keep them from accidentally entangling again.

'Back then the bond was something we had just done while flying.' Toothless shook his head, probably trying to clear his thoughts after the separation. It was strange not knowing what the dragon felt.

"Kid, we're starting!"

'Have to go,' Hiccup told Toothless. He breathed in deep and talked out loud to himself. "I can do this. They're just people."

He returned the spear to his other hand and dragged himself to the small group of "beginners", many of them were actually close to his age, perhaps a little older. They all spread out, grouped by weapon, and the older warrior demonstrated proper moves that they would then repeat, and repeat, and repeat until the sun was high in the sky and Hiccup's arms hurt worse than his missing leg. Then they had to practice in pairs. The only other spear user was a twenty-something young man. He wasn't especially muscular but towered over Hiccup in height. There went his hopes of reach advantage.