"So, how's your dad doing?" Kate asked.

"The docs say he's doing well." Will shrugged. "Some days are easier than others, but he's getting there, so Mom and I are happy." His dad's 2 was so much stronger than it had been, and its color had permanently turned from sallow grey to soft gold.

"That's awesome." The sun glinted off her 4 as it danced in her left pupil. "I'm sure the last month has been hell for you."

"It's definitely not something I'd like to repeat, that's for sure, but at least we've got a plan for him moving forward. So, what about you? What's new?"

Twisting her ponytail around her index finger, Kate bit her lip. "Can you keep a secret? I've been thinking about maybe sticking around Reese for a while." Her voice sounded tentative, and she looked down at her flip-flopped feet.

Her tone had him confused. "Were you planning on going back to school early or something?"

"No, I was always supposed to stay all summer; but, I dunno, being home and spending more time with my parents makes me think maybe I should be here, period. As in, on a more permanent basis." She looked past Will toward the swings that sang in the breeze. "To tell the truth, the house feels pretty empty without Alex, and we're all still hurting."

Running a hand through his hair, Will sighed. "I get it. You know how much I miss him. But that's a major decision, Kate. Are you sure you'd want to do that? I mean, I thought you loved school. The last time we spoke, you said it helped to be away from home this past year."

She frowned. "I did say that, didn't I? You know, leaving home did seem to help for a while; I'm just not sure going back is the best thing to do, at least not right now. I've been wondering if going away just helped push some of my tougher feelings about Alex aside, instead of dealing with them." Rubbing Buckley's velvety-soft ears, she continued talking but avoided Will's gaze. "I've grieved for my brother. Believe me, I have, but I still need to find a way to accept what happened."

Kate's bottom lip quivered with each word. Her voice was husky, and her hazel eyes brimmed with tears as she looked up at Will. Reaching out, he pulled her into a hug as visions of Alex's wide smile filled his mind. They stood quietly for a minute, in the middle of the park, and then she stepped back, wiped her eyes, and pulled her sunglasses back on like fashionable camouflage. 

"Are you alright?" He'd known her for years, but this level of sharing was new territory.  Maybe they were each other's stand-in for Alex now that he was gone. And maybe that was okay. 

She half-smiled and shook her head. "Sorry, Will. I guess I'm a little emotional these days. Don't worry -- it's not like I'm throwing my life away to hide in my parents' basement or something; I'm just considering staying at home for a while. I haven't told my mom and dad yet, so please don't say anything. I'm working on some options, and if I can extend my placement at the hospital, I may just defer school for a year." She sighed again, and Buckley's soft pink tongue lapped at her hand.

"I won't tell anyone. Promise."  Keeping secrets was his thing; after all, his own private issues could fill a bank vault. 

"You know how I said my brother's life inspired me? I've been thinking lately I might want to go med school, maybe even oncology to help kids with cancer, like Alex. Staying on at the hospital would give me some good experience to pad my resume for when I eventually apply to schools." Her half smile bloomed, and she seemed at peace again.

He was genuinely impressed. Despite all she'd experienced, Kate was taking an incredibly difficult situation and finding a way around it to grow. It reminded him of the times his mom had pointed out the resiliency of plants to curve their way out of darkness and push forward toward the light. 

"That's amazing. Alex would be so proud of you."

"Thanks, Will. I really appreciate you saying that." Her 4 sparkled, bathed in the early evening sun, and their eyes caught on each other for an extra beat.

He cleared his throat. "Well, keep me posted, okay? I'll keep quiet about your decision, don't worry about that. But if you ever need anything, just let me know. I'd be happy to help if I can. In a way, it would feel like I'm helping Alex." His chest warmed a little at the thought.

"I might take you up on that, actually." She shrugged. "If I do stay in Reese, all my friends will have gone back to school after summer vacation is over. I may need to bug you for coffee sometimes, so I don't go totally stir crazy at my parents' house." She was easy to talk to; he hadn't anticipated that before he started getting to know her better.

"You know I'm always up for a trip to Decker's. I bet there's still a lot to think about before you commit to staying, though." Finally done with his rounds, Toby ran up and accosted Kate with wet kisses before rolling onto his back for a belly rub. "Seriously, Toby! He sure loves the ladies." Will rolled his eyes at Kate and laughed. Some things would never change. With a deep bark, Buckley wedged his wide shoulders in to separate his mistress from her furry flirting friend.

"I'm sorry, Tobe, Buck here doesn't like to share." Grabbing the bulldog's collar, Kate pulled him away from temptation.

"C'mon, boy, get on out of there. It's time for us to go home, anyway." Will clipped Toby's leash back onto his collar, eliciting a whine from his pup. "See you soon, Kate?"

"Definitely." She flashed a 100-watt smile and lowered her sunglasses to look him in the eye. "And Will? Thanks for listening. I really appreciate it."

"Anytime." He returned her gaze, and her gold 4 twinkled. "Good luck with your decision. It's a big one, but you'll figure it out. I'll be thinking about you."

Leading Toby to the park's entrance, he craned his neck to look back at her. Sun caught the light in Kate's hair, and she glowed in the distance, waving at him until he rounded the corner, and he couldn't see her anymore.

***