I sighed. "What are you looking for."

From the look on her face when she glanced back up at me, there was no way this was going to be some simple potion for some simple problem-solving. Her fawn skin had warmed beyond their rosy color to a bright red and there was a slight tremble to her lips.

"A love potion?"

Haha, funny. "Those don't work. It's a modern myth."

"But..." She shoved her hand into her back pocket and pulled out a crumpled paper. "I have a recipe..." She fumbled with it for a moment then pushed it towards me on the counter.

I picked up the paper and glanced over the ingredients. Nothing special. All I'd need would be right in the store, but it'd be a waste of time. I'd tried making love potions before, first because I was naïve, then just curious as I tried my own recipes, then because clients begged me to. No one ever listened, always desperate to be loved.

"Why do you think you even need this?" I asked, fanning the paper in the air.

"Well," she took several deep breaths, flapping her hands from the wrists as she sought for an explanation. "I don't really know how else to approach them, and I just don't, I don't want them to not know... I mean." She held her breath in her puffy cheeks, then groaned as she let it all out. "I-"

"I'll do it." Suddenly I went all soft and warm inside. I felt foolish, but cute, flustered and helpless girls were my one true weakness.

"What?" Her brows shot up.

"I'll do it," I repeated. Though, why she'd possibly need a potion to make anyone fall in love with her was beyond me.

She practically bounced with joy, grinning like she'd won the lottery. "Thank you so much!"

"Pleasure's all mine," I signed, then went around the store, grabbing everything I needed before placing it all on the counter. A burner, some glasses, a flask, some glass sticks to stir the mixture, and an hour later I was done.

We shared some small talk as I worked. Though shy at first, she opened up quite easily. We joked and laughed non-stop. Apparently, she was a last-year student at the college. A history student. Likes dancing, movie nights with horror movies which were too horrible to be scary, and a total cat person. Couldn't stop talking about their "beans" while she showed me clips and pictures of cats in all sorts of weird situations.

"There, all done."

She pocketed her phone and stared at the flask as I corked it. "How much will it cost?"

I handed her the flask and grinned, my chin propped up on my palm as I leaned on the counter. "Oh, it's the highest price," I said.

Her eyes widened.

"It's cost is true love's kiss." I'd grown a little too comfortable around her, making a bold joke like that, but I just couldn't help myself. Not knowing how to fix whatever awkwardness I'd caused, I winked.

And made things so much worse.

She'd gone really quiet for a few seconds, then broke out giggling.

"I-I could-" She'd gone all bright red again. "That price wouldn't be a problem."

Now it was my turn to be surprised. "Wha-"

She leaned in, looked me straight in the eye, and when I didn't move away, kissed me full on the lips. Soft, warm, and minty. She lingered, entrancing me, and that spark returned. The one I felt right before she stepped in.

Finally, but way too soon, she pulled back, leaving me as flustered as she'd been. My mouth fell open again, but I didn't know what to say. It was supposed to be a joke. I'd never expected her to actually...

"Thank you." She grinned and took the potion, with my hand caught between hers and the flask. "Can I uhm, get your number?" she signed with her free hand. She wet her lips, then bit her lower lip as she averted her gaze. "You know, in case I uhm... need help with the potions effects?"

"Sure," I signed. I swear I sounded drunk.

She offered me a pen and I wrote my number on the back of the crumpled paper.

"Thanks!" she signed. Her hand stroked mine as she let them slip away, took the paper with my number and left for the front door.

I gawped at her. What just happened?!

The bell rang as she opened the door.

"Wait, your potion!"

She glanced over her shoulder, still beaming. "Already used it. It works. Thanks!" she winked so overdramatically I knew she did it on purpose, teasing me for doing it earlier, and walked out.