CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

Start from the beginning

“Carla?” Her frown deepened, confusion clouding her mind —rather than a traveling coat, Carla was clad in a simple white nightdress with a night coat. Why wasn't she dressed for the journey? Hadn't Race told her about it? Bianca knew she hadn't spoken to her sister since the morning of the news, but she imagined Carla was informed by Race about their need to leave Camden.

Perhaps Carla was simply being stubborn about leaving? Bianca didn't put it past her sister to want to stay behind, even if the consequences of staying behind would be rather dire —Carla would be forced out of the estate and left penniless.

Frustrated, she folded her arms across her chest and stood still as her sister approached.

“What are you doing?!” She motioned to her dress. “Perhaps you must be rid of this silliness, Carla, you cannot simply choose to throw a tantrum by refusing to journey with us esp—”

The words were suddenly knocked out of her lungs as Carla's arms curled around her neck.

Stiffening, Bianca stood confused for several seconds, her arms laying limp by her sides as her sister clung to her.

“I cannot go with you.” She finally whispered, pulling away.

Staring at her, Bianca nearly believed that she saw tears in her sister's eyes —nearly.

“You cannot remain either.” She managed to speak in spite of her confused mind.

Carla nodded. “I know, but I have done enough damage to you, Bianca, I cannot go with you lest I ruin your life further.”

“What do you mean?” Perhaps her sister had been foolish enough to kiss Race, but that was all, wasn't it?

Carla's gaze fell to the ground. “It is my fault you were forced to marry Race.”

“Partly,” She admitted, remembering the letter Carla had begged her to deliver.

Carla shook her head, a small sob escaping her lips.

“Bianca?”

Turning stiffly from her sister, Bianca suddenly remembered Race's presence.

“Do you wish for me to give you two some privacy?”

She wasn't sure. A part of her dreaded Carla's impending confession, but she knew it was her right to know what evil her sister had plotted against her, and perhaps she needed to hear of it alone?

Nodding, “Please.”

“Very well, I shall be in the carriage.” He turned from her.

Drawing her coat further around herself, Bianca turned once more to Carla. “Is there something you wish to tell me?” It was a difficult question to ask, for Bianca knew that there was indeed something to be told, and that something would no doubt completely destroy what was left of her relationship with her sister.

Perhaps they never really had a relationship? Perhaps all her life Bianca had always known that she was unloved by her entire family? Yet, she had always been hopeful. She had told herself through the years that not many families got along, and that her sister would eventually grow to love her —the thought of knowing she was wrong caused a large lump to form in her lungs.

“Mother always knew you would get the title,” Carla began, her eyes still planted on the ground. “marrying Mr. Belington was the only way to ensure it wouldn't happen. If I could get you to journey to his estate in Bath, Mother and I could have convinced Father that you had run off with a bastard.” Her words were like cold water poured upon Bianca, stinging her skin. “If Father thought you were ruining his reputation in such a manner, he would have disowned you and I would hav—”