Part One, Chapter Two: Sick

Hey guys! The second chapter is up!
As for updating, I'm going to try to update a least once a week, on a weekday. It won't be the same day every week, and if I skip a week I'll try to publish two chapters the next week.

Please read and review!

Love,

XxRoseLoversxX

Disclaimer: I don't own Stardust

Chapter Two: Sick

It was two weeks after Tristan and Yvaine's coronation, and already every hour of their life was carefully planned for them.

Tristan was busy all day in meetings with royalty, hosting Lords and Dukes and sometimes Kings as they discussed their kingdoms and the possibility of future trading agreements and alliances. Yvaine was busy having lunch with the wives of said Lords, Dukes, and Kings. They hardly had time for each other, and as Yvaine spent less and less time with Tristan she grew worried that the prospect of not being able to have children together had frightened him off.

On top of that, Yvaine was constantly tired and hungry. She always had headaches and the smell of cooking food, an aroma that once pleased her, now made her feel sick to her stomach. This only added to her stress and anxiety. Yvaine considered going to the royal healer, but they most likely wouldn't know how to treat a star. If they even knew she was a star.

Tristan knew that something was wrong with his wife, but he figured that if it was serious she would talk to him. He didn't have to know everything going on in his wife's life. For now, he decided, he would give her some privacy.

One early morning, Tristan and Yvaine were eating breakfast in the dining hall when a royal messenger came up to them, procuring a single letter from his pouch.

Tristan took the letter hesitantly, but his apprehension faded away when he saw that it was sent from Wall. He tore open the letter eagerly and scanned it over, finding that it was from Humphrey and Victoria. He looked up to find Yvaine smiling at him, gesturing for him to read it aloud.

Tristan cleared his throat and read,

To the honorable King and Queen of Stormhold, His Majesty Tristan Thorne and Her Majesty Yvaine Thorne,

You have been sorely missed in Wall! Your father and mother have been lethargic without a son to raise, and they tell me to write that they send their affection.

Micheal is doing well. He has started to mumble incoherent nonsense, but we are certain that it will soon turn into words.

How is life as King and Queen? Victoria thinks it must be lovely, and complains that she needs "dresses like Yvaine's" or "That necklace, because Yvaine will have it" because heaven forbid Yvaine outshine her (she is chastising me as I write this).

We have news! Yvaine invited Victoria to be her lady-in-waiting in one of her previous letters, and Victoria has decided to accept! We will move into the servants' quarter as soon as we arrive in Stormhold. I have written this just before we left, and as a letter takes 2 days to reach its destination, and traveling to Stormhold takes 4, we will arrive in 2 days time. This is assuming that this letter has not been delayed on its journey to you.

We eagerly await seeing your faces again, and send love from all your friends and family in Wall.

Sincerely,

Humphrey Forrester and his wife Victoria Forrester, future lady-in-waiting to the queen

Yvaine squealed when he finished reading the letter. Tristan turned to see her smiling broadly, beaming at the prospect of a friend in this confusing royal world.

"Tristan, finally! I offered the position to Victoria and I wasn't sure if she'd accept, but she-" Yvaine stopped her rant abruptly, and her look of delight turned to horror.

Yvaine stood up quickly, the sound of her chair scraping against the floor echoing across the room. As Yvaine fled toward the nearest room, Tristan got up and followed her. He wasn't sure about what was going on, but he knew that he needed to be there for his wife.

He entered the room to find Yvaine emptying the contents of her stomach into a chamber pot, retching as her breakfast was forced out of her.

Tristan quickly rushed over and held her long, white-blond hair away from her face, and called for a servant to grab the pot when Yvaine was done.

A few minutes later, Yvaine was finished. The servant scurried out of the room with the pot as Yvaine reached over Tristan's arm to grab the rag next his elbow. After wiping her mouth thoroughly, she glanced at her husband's concerned face.

"Are  you alright?" Tristan asked, concerned for her health. He didn't know that stars could get sick, and he wasn't sure if it was serious or not.

"I'm fine," Yvaine replied, straightening her gown and smoothing out the wrinkles that had accumulated when she was emptying her stomach. "I've actually been feeling nauseous for the past week. I'm sure it's nothing." As soon as the words left her mouth, Yvaine knew it was the wrong thing to say. Tristan's eyes narrowed.

"And why, exactly, haven't you talked to me about this?" He asked angrily.

Yvaine shrugged. "You were busy. I thought it was just my time of the month up until this morning."

Tristan blushed when Yvaine mentioned this.

"Well, is it?"

"Is it what?" Yvaine replied distractedly, running her fingers through her hair as she glanced in the mirror to make sure she looked presentable.

Tristan hesitated before he resumed speaking. "Is it... your... well, your..."

"Spit it out, Tristan!"

"Is it your time of the month?!"

Yvaine gaped at him, and a look of horrid fascination overtook her features. Tristan gulped, thinking the look was for him. But Yvaine's gaze was focused on the wall behind him, and she slowly sat down as she contemplated what he had said.

"No, it can't be," she whispered softly, still staring at the wall, her eyes glazed over.

"What is it?" Tristan asked, relieved that his wife wasn't angry with him.

Yvaine moved her mouth wordlessly before snapping her gaze up to him.

"It all makes sense now," she muttered as she stared at him. Then a huge grin broke out across her face.

"Tristan," Yvaine said happily, "my time of the month was supposed to start two weeks ago."

"So?" Tristan asked, confused.

"It all makes sense now!" Yvaine repeated, standing up happily. "The headaches, the nausea, all of it!"

Tristan stared at his wife, still confused.

"Tristan, I'm pregnant!"

At this statement, Tristan grinned. Then as the words sank in, the world was suddenly enveloped in a dark-edged panic.