Chapter 22: Certainty

Start from the beginning

I run a hand over my chin, thinking of a question. "Okay, what insect, if the size of an elephant, would be terrifying." He bursts into laughter, folding forward before bringing his widened gaze back to my own. "What? That is so random."

"But think about it though! My answer is butterfly. Imagine one of them chasing your ass, that's scary!" I shudder in a cringe, laying my head in his lap. He chuckles, "Ooh or a moth?! Oh, hell no! Why would you ask that question, now I'm itching. My turn." He kisses my forehead as I turn over so I'm facing him.

"Do you like the cupcake I bought you that's currently in the fridge?"

I sit up, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "How am I supposed to answer that if I haven't seen it yet?" He playfully shrugs and I catch the hint, rising to my feet to head toward the kitchen. I pull open the dark stainless-steel fridge, my eyes landing on a small plastic container, holding a cupcake with white frosting, topped with golden flakes and sprinkles.

I pull it out and open it, bringing it closer to my face to read the cursive icing. Will you go to prom with me?

"Baby, this is so cute! Absolutely!" Coen makes quick strides across the floor, his arms finding my waist to lift me into a hug. Our lips connect passionately and I can't help but think how lucky I am to have him.

"Up next is Serenity and Dominic. Everyone give them a round of applause as they come up to present!" Mrs. Lansette spoke, handing Dominic the HDMI cord to plug into his laptop. "Yo McAllister, your girlfriend and your best friend teamed up and left you hanging? Yikes." Malik playfully teased Coen who quickly tossed a water bottle at him.

It was still a new sight to see the two of them friendly after their talk at the diner. It made perfect sense that they would get along, they were very much alike in some ways. No wonder I fell in love with both.

Did I really just admit I'm in love with Coen?

"Our PowerPoint is on Iago and his role as tragic villain in Othello." I speak, stepping aside so everyone can read the screen. I begin to hear the distant rhythm of a phone vibrating and my eyes fall onto Coen who is rummaging through my pocket to silence my phone.

He looks back up at me and smiles, giving a thumbs up and so Dominic and I press on. "We see jealously take an incredible role throughout—" My phone rings again in Coen's hands and as the screen lights up, Coen's eyebrows contort as he reads the contact.

He looks up, mouthing the name Tyrone. He places my phone back onto the table since Tyrone texted me all the time asking if I could buy him food and other random things, and before Dominic and I can continue to the next slide, the quiet room is met with a barrage of vibrating from my phone and this time Coen visibly tenses.

Everyone turns to look at him as he quickly stands from his seat rushing over toward me. "I think it's an emergency." On cue, the room phone starts ringing, and the classroom door swings open. Wesley is standing there breathless, his face a shade of red I hadn't seen before. My heart sinks. Somethings wrong.

"Its Macy. We gotta go, now!" He speaks and I quickly usher over to the table where my beg is before the feeling of jelly-legs can fully take over and prevent me from standing.

My hands grip the desk and Coen hands me my keys while Malik takes the bag from my shaking hands. "We'll handle it. Go. I'll see you in a few." Coen kisses my cheek and Wesley and I make our way out of the room with students gazing at us in worry.

Our walk to the parking lot is a blur once I ask Wesley where we're going, and he gives a single word, Hospital. We meet with Tyrone as he signs us out at the main office and their loud voices fall into a hushed quiet of fear.

Breathe Serenity. Just breath. Walk and breathe.

"Serenity! Drive what are you doing?!" I hear Tyrone yell from the backseat and my autopilot quickly turns off. I didn't even realize I made it to the car. I put my key into the ignition and reverse out of the parking lot.

"Which hospital?!" I asked hurriedly. "Which hospital do you fucking think?! Dad's!" Tyrone yells. "Don't yell at me!" I retort back, anger getting the best of me. "Well then don't yell at me!"

"Enough! Both of you! Keep driving steady, I'll talk to mom, and Tyrone talk to Joey. He's gonna want to know what's going on if he doesn't already." We interlocks of hands-on top of the center console and pulls my sunglasses out to put them onto my squinting eyes. "Everything will be okay."

Siblings may fight and bicker but thank God I have him here. I wouldn't choose anyone else.

Anaphylaxis.

She had gone nine years without ever being stung by a bee, and somehow now because of one, my sister was asleep in a hospital bed with an IV and The Little Mermaid playing on the small television.

My head was drooping low as sleep called out to me. Wesley and Tyrone had gone home once Coen arrived and gave them a ride, and I had been sitting in this room for the last 6 hours.

Coen tapped softly at the door before entering and sitting down in the worn-down chair next to me. He rubs my temple gently, pulling me into his arms to place a sweet kiss on my forehead and lay my head against his shoulder. "How are you feeling?" He spoke softly.

"Better now that she's okay. She's getting discharged in the morning after she gets an Epi Pen. I'm a little overwhelmed but above all else, I'm hella sleepy." I smiled up at him as he giggles, giving a pointed look at my parents who had fallen asleep on the chair together.

My heart warmed at the embrace they shared. Still deep in love after so many years.

We sat in silence as he gazed at them. Longing deep in his eyes as he spoke.

"Despite how awful my dad has been in the past couple of years, my parents used to be like this. A happy family, rich in love." His grip around my shoulder tightens at the memories. "I was afraid of falling in love because I thought any relationship I had would fail. I would be in a loveless marriage with children who deserved better."

He inhaled a deep breath, relaxing further back into the seat. He pulled his head up and I did the same so we could look at each other. His lips parted into a delicate smile as he took in my face. "That is... until you. Until we found one another again. Until I drank your kisses and became intoxicated with you. Until you showed me how loved I am, and because of that same love I get to love others."

A single tear escaped his eyes, and he did not wipe it away. He let is cascade down onto my own cheek as our eyes stayed locked into the other. All else faded away as his lips parted one more time to finally say what I had been waiting for.

"Serenity Miller, I love you."

At that moment of stillness, I could hear my heart tell me, "It's him."

My help. My heart. My home.

"Coen McAllister, I love you too."