Chapter 5: "You know, you really can't lie to an Empath."

The next day, Sophie avoided Fitz like the plague.

She knew they would have to talk about their fight at some point, but Sophie definitely did not want to do it at Foxfire.

The bell had rung for lunch, but since the cafeteria was out of question, Sophie headed to the Healing Center and asked Elwin if she could eat there.

"Sure," he said. "I'm about to take a lunch break, too. There's not much to do around here when you and your friends aren't getting hurt."

It would have been funny if it wasn't so true.

Sophie needed both hands and feet to count the number of times she or her friends had been there. In fact, she had just spent a week there healing from the shadowflux attack. With Fitz, who she wasn't going to think about right now.

Her throat muscles tightened at the mental mention of his name.

"So," she said, swallowing, "What do you have for lunch?"

Elwin gave her a strange look.

"Well, of course I have my salad, my bottle of Youth, my sandwich...let's see...my other salad, my yogurt, and also mallowmelt– in three flavors! – and a chocolate ripplefluff..." he began, rummaging through a large blue bag.

Sophie almost laughed.

Just then, the door to the Healing Center opened and a familiar blond head popped in. "Uh, Elwin? There's kind of an emergency. Basically, some level two kids got into a fight in the hallway that led to an impromptu splotching battle, and it got kind of intense and one of them may have a concussion or at least a really big bruise, and I was passing by on my way to lunch, so I offered to get you." Keefe stopped and took a deep breath.

Elwin stood up, looking amused. "I'll take care of it, Mr. Sencen. Why don't you sit down and take a breather before heading to lunch?"

When he left, Keefe sat down next to Sophie. "So, want to tell me why you're hiding in here, Foster?"

"I'm not hiding," said Sophie. "I just...wanted to have a quiet lunch."

"You know, you really can't lie to an Empath."

"I'm not lying," protested Sophie weakly.

"You are, but okay, we don't have to talk about why you're holed up in here." He was silent for a minute and then opened his mouth, probably to ask something, but Sophie beat him to it.

"Do you think I'm secretive and closed up?" she blurted out.

"What?"

"And that I don't really let people in and that I always deal with things on my own?"

"Whoa, whoa. Back the T-rex up. Where did that come from?"

"Ugh, sorry, never mind," said Sophie, wanting to smack herself in the forehead. Why was this stupid fight the only thing on her mind? And why did she even care what Keefe's answer would be?

"No, wait, we should talk about this. Is this what's been bothering you?"

Half of Sophie wished Keefe would change the subject, but for some reason, half of her really wanted him to answer her question.

"I mean, I guess you might keep things to yourself sometimes, but you don't really. I mean, when you do, it's always– usually– for a good reason. And I don't think you're closed up or anything. And everyone deals with things their own way. I'm practically the king of that– do you remember when I ran off to join the Neverseen?" Then he winced. "Sorry, I shouldn't have brought that up. But my point is no, I don't think you're really any of those things."

It felt so, so good to hear him say it. All of a sudden, Sophie felt like crying again. She felt all the pent-up emotion from the past few days rising up and pressed a hand to her stomach, trying to soothe the writhing knot.

"Did I say something wrong?"

Sophie shook her head, hand still pressed to her stomach. It wasn't just emotion; it was actual, physical pain.

Keefe waved his arm in front of his face. "Foster, you know I can feel all of that, right?"

"I know," she whispered, straightening up. "Can we not talk about it?"

"We don't have to if you don't want to," Keefe said. His voice softened. "But I hope you know I'm here if you change your mind."

Sophie nodded gratefully, the pain subsiding.

The rest of the day was slightly easier after that. Her next session was Phys. Ed, which was fine; Sophie was just glad that it wasn't telepathy. After that was study hall, which she used to catch up on all her homework– there was a lot of it.

When Sophie got back to Havenfield, she still went straight to her room. She didn't think she had enough energy for a heart to heart with Edaline– at least, not yet.

On impulse, she pulled out her iPod. I haven't touched this thing in ages. She opened up her music app and scrolled through her playlists, selecting one and turning up the volume. She stretched out on her bed, feeling the familiar lyrics wash over her. She was almost falling asleep when her Imparter rang, startling her fully awake.

She took it out of her drawer and pressed the button.

"Miss Foster?" Mr. Forkle's wrinkly face stared up at her. "We have an emergency."

"An-an emergency?" Sophie asked dumbly, crashing back into reality. Thoughts began racing through her head. Is it Alvar? Did they find him? Is somebody missing? Hurt?

"A potential one, yes. We need to–"

"What happened?!"

He sighed. "We need to discuss this as a group. I've assembled your friends– can you meet us at Everglen?"

"When?" asked Sophie, her heart pounding.

"Does now work?"

Sophie nodded. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

The screen went blank.

"Well, Miss Foster," said Sandor, "looks like we're taking a trip."