Chapter Five

The pep rally that afternoon went smoothly. The cheer team had been practicing it all week and a little over the summer. Even the new freshmen had it down pretty solid. The cheerleaders were almost every student's favorite part about pep rallies. Who really cared about the football players' names or the lame speeches given by the principal and coach? I was pretty sure I had heard Trevor shout "Go, El!" at the end of our routine, but there was so much cheering and clapping that it was hard to tell. He was good at screaming though, since it was his only role in his band.

My mom ended up taking me to the game that night. I needed to get there early since we would have a short practice before it, so I couldn't hitch a ride with Trevor. Luckily she just dropped me off and wasn't interested in sticking around for high school football.

Our team ended up winning by six points. It was Justin's touchdown at the last second of the game that brought us up. I was just grateful we didn't have to go into overtime. After spending all day in my cheerleading uniform, I was eager to get out of it.

Trevor met me on the field's sidelines as people drifted out of the stands. He immediately wrapped his arms around me in a hug and pulled me to his chest, restricting my own arms' movement.

"You were awesome!" he complimented. I laughed at Trevor's enthusiasm and he let me go.

"Thanks, Trev." He liked football, albeit not as much as basketball, but he probably wouldn't come to the games if it wasn't for me. Just like I wouldn't go to random concerts or battle of the bands competitions if it wasn't for him. It was just part of having a best friend with different hobbies. "Did you borrow Matt's car?"

Trevor shook his head as he picked up my duffel bag from underneath an aluminum bench, recognizing my pink ribbon on the strap. Cheerleaders didn't get lockers, so under the bench was the only place to stash our stuff so it was at least a little out of the way.

"Matt came with me," he explained, shouldering the bag. "So did Woody."

"Oh," I said, slightly surprised. I carried my pom-poms as I walked at Trevor's side. Matt made somewhat sense; he wasn't a fan of loaning his car out to his younger sibling. But the only sport Woody was interested in was yoga.

"Yeah, we figured we could stop by Ma's before heading to the party." That's right. The party. How could I forget? Maybe I had assumed the guys wouldn't want to go after Matt's fight earlier, considering Dave Jennings was hosting it, Justin's best friend.

I bumped into Trevor's side jokingly. "So it's fine when you say 'ma,' but not me?"

He rolled his eyes at my lame joke. Ma's Diner was a small restaurant up the road that was a common hangout for the high school students. Trevor might think my accent sounded funny, but to me it was weird hearing anyone not from Boston say 'ma.'

"Let's just get to the cah," he smirked. I didn't bother calling him out on his teasing.

When we reached Matt's car in the parking lot, Trevor banged on the trunk. I could see Matt's profile in the driver's seat, while Woody sat shotgun. Matt popped the trunk, but I closed it as soon as it opened. Trevor looked at me like I was crazy, shaking the duffel bag strap that was still on his shoulder.

"I need to change," I explained, taking the bag from him.

"You're going to change in the car? With three teenage boys?" Trevor asked dubiously.

I shrugged and opened the left door to the backseat. "I'm not wearing my uniform to a party."

Instead of walking to the other side of the car, Trevor followed me, forcing me and my duffel to slide across the bench seat so that I was behind Woody. Alright then.