Twenty Four

"Why did you do it?" Max asked Lisandra. After Emilia had stormed off, he'd spent almost an hour wondering what he'd done to make her so angry. After a while he'd realized that she was right. He hadn't been pissed about her interfering with his work but about Lisandra. She also misunderstood why he was angry. It had nothing to do with his feelings.

Although he couldn't deny that he did feel a little betrayed. He'd spent a lot of years sleeping next to her. If she had been tired of being with him, all she had to do was say so. He would have let her go. As to who she wanted to be with, well, he couldn't decide for her. The fact that she'd chosen Gwen's fiancé was what pissed him off more. She was his sister's best friend. This betrayal hurt Gwen more than anything. He couldn't pretend that he didn't have any feelings about the situation. He had a right to be angry for his sister.

"Let me explain Max. It's not what you think"

"I'm listening. Tell me why you chose to sleep with my sister's fiancé when you could have any man you want out there. I've seen first hand how men follow you around. Why Knox?"

"Anyone but you. Am I right?" she asked.

"Yes. You knew from the beginning that my heart belongs to only one woman and you told me you were okay with that"

"Because I thought you would eventually forget about her. I thought that if I gave you time, you would get over her and love me instead"

"That's why you pretended to be okay with our relationship?"

"Yes. And when I realized you were never going to love me, I went out drinking. Albert happened to be there. I don't know how it happened but I woke up next to him the next morning. I really didn't mean to cheat on Gwen"

"Those photos are very clear Lisandra. It wasn't a one time thing"

"I made a mistake and I'm sorry. It's just that once I started I couldn't stop. You barely looked at me Max. I can count on my hand the number of times you made love to me in a year. How did you expect me to survive? I'm a woman and I also have needs"

"So you're blaming me?"

"Yes. If you had paid attention to me I wouldn't have been forced to look for another man"

"I understand what you're saying and I have no problem with you seeing other men. But did it have to be Gwen's fiancé?"

"No. Like I said it just happened"

"I don't believe you. I know you Lisandra and you're lying"

"Know me? Sometimes I wonder if you even know my name. You've been ignoring me for years but now that you found out I have been seeing another man, you get mad?"

"I'm not mad"

"Bullshit Max. It's clear that you're angry. I wonder what Emilia would say if she found out that her husband is angry because his mistress found another man"

Wanting to hit back, he asked "Are you finally admitting that you are my mistress?"

"That's not what I....."

"It doesn't matter. I called you here today to sort all this out. For a while there I felt sorry for you because I couldn't give you what you deserved. I kept thinking that I was awful for keeping you when it was clear I would never love you. I'm angry because I thought I had wronged you when it wasn't even necessary to feel guilty. But now that I know everything, it's time I stop feeling bad for you. I wish you happiness Lisandra. Just don't ever appear in front of me and Gwen ever again. This is where our story ends. I'm cutting off all ties with you"