Seventeen

It was hotter than usual. It felt as if the sun was on a mission to fry everything under it including him. As much as Max loved summer, it had its disadvantages too. Exhibit A: sunburns. For someone as forgetful as him, he couldn't stay outside for too long or he would end up with nasty burns. Nash teased him all the time about how sensitive his skin was. As if only girls were the ones allowed to have soft sensitive skin.

But in all honesty, that wasn't the reason he'd decided to come back to that restaurant. True, it provided shelter and good food, not forgetting cold drinks. But the real gem was the stunning mouthy waitress who'd flat out told him to go to hell yesterday after he'd asked for her number. Being a Carter, he was used to girls following him around and doing whatever he wanted. It was the first time someone had turned him down and he'd never been happier.

At last he had found a challenge. Wooing her and getting her to fall for him would be the highlight of his summer. It was also his last free summer. After that he would start working at Carter industries. He was ready to take on the responsibility so his mother could be at ease. With all the hours he was required to put in, Max thought that it would be a little easier if he had some good memories to take with him. They would be so much better if they involved a certain beauty who was currently walking towards him.

"Hello, what can I get you?" she asked taking out her pen and notebook. Pretending not to know him only fueled Max's desire to conquer her.

"A glass of lemonade and your number"

"Okay. I'll be right back"

"Does that mean you've finally agreed to give me your number?"

Raising her eyebrow, she retorted "Do I look like one of those groupies who follow you around?"

"No way. You're more prettier than they are"

"Thank you. I accept really big tips but that doesn't mean I'll sell myself to get them. I especially abhor rich kids like you who think they can have whatever they want. So please order anything you want then leave" looking over her shoulder, she called another waitress "Gigi, get this customer a glass of lemonade. I'll take the family that just walked in" then she left without a backward glance. 

It would be sick to say that her uncaring attitude turned him on but it was the truth. The fact that she knew he was rich and wasn't throwing herself on him tipped the scale in her favor. Max was sure that if his friend found out about her, they would definitely fight over her. It was the reason he'd lied to Nash, telling him that he wasn't going to London because Carter industries needed him. This girl was only going to be his alone. There would be no passing her down when he was done.

The next day he decided to go around the back where the kitchen was just to see if she would reprimand him. It seemed like that was the only way he could get her to talk to him. He'd thought of asking if they were hiring so he'd be close to her but discarded that idea. First because he knew nothing about working in a restaurant and second because if his mother caught wind of it, he would end up spending his summer in London like Preston. Aside from the horses at the farm, nothing was worth spending his last free days in that big empty place. As he was about to take a corner, he heard two people arguing. Max would have left if he hadn't heard her voice.

"I'll have to deduct your salary to pay for those broken plates" an older woman said.

"But I wasn't the one who broke them. Why do I have to be the one to pay?"

"Because it was your responsibility. Ever since we took you in you've given us nothing but trouble. Now that I'm left all alone, this restaurant is the only thing I have. If you keep this up, I won't have anything. I'm begging you for the last time Emilia, please find someone else to trouble. I'm tired of this"