Staying at the Inn

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Carson asked. The family was sitting around the dining table eating dinner and Nancy had just told him and Hannah about their plans.

Nancy nodded. "It's the best one we have, and technically the only one."

"But to be so close to someone Emily distrusts and could be dangerous?" asked Hannah.

"The better to keep an eye on her, my dear Hannah," said Nancy with a smirk.

Hannah rolled her eyes. "Alright, Miss Holmes."

"Besides, Emily would feel better knowing that there will be two more witnesses to the fake ghost sighting."

"What makes you so sure it's a fake ghost?" asked Hannah.

"Emily definitely thinks it's a fake ghost. But by the time she gets out there to check, no one's in sight. And Jane doesn't believe that she saw anything, which makes me wonder even more about Jane." Nancy turned to her father. "Shouldn't a guardian take into consideration their ward's worries, even if they may end up proving to be unfounded? Especially considering the emotional strain Emily's been going through."

Carson shrugged. "Technically they should, but, I wonder if it is because of the emotional strain Emily's going through that Jane brushes it off as a figment of her imagination. It could be that because Emily desires to see her mother so much that she's hallucinating a ghost from a legend where, like she, a child lost their mother."

"Did I ever hallucinate?" whispered Nancy.

Carson shook his head. "You have a strong mind. A strong imagination too, but your mind would not hallucinate under such strain." He took a sip from his cup. "Although, you did have quite a bit of help from the Hardys in keeping your mind sharp. They sent you puzzle after puzzle, riddle after riddle, to help you cope."

Nancy smiled brightly. "For which I will be forever grateful."

"Then why don't you give them your cell number?" asked Hannah. "Joe's been pestering me about it behind your back."

Nancy's eyes widened. "He has? You didn't give it to him, did you?"

"Of course not, that's your decision. But, I think you should give it to them. If this is to be the beginning of your career, having them on speed dial in case you need help on a case, or if they need yours, could come in very handy."

Carson nodded. "I agree. I would feel better knowing that the three of you have each other's backs more often, even if it's just over the phone."

"Oh, alright Dad, but after I've solved Emily's mystery. Joe would be calling me every day for an update on the mystery, or even try to solve the mystery over the phone himself if he could."

Carson laughed. "That he would. I feel bad for Frank, having to keep up with him. Alright, we have a deal."

Nancy smiled. "Thanks Dad."

"And if Helen's going to be there with you as well as Emily, then I say you can stay at Lilac Inn until you've solved these mysteries."

Nancy leapt from her chair and wrapped her father in a tight hug. "Thank you Dad!"

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Carson?" asked Hannah.

Carson nodded. "I'm sure that with Helen and Emily there watching her back . . ." He glanced at Nancy, "And that you're extra careful, things will be fine."

Nancy smiled. "I will Dad, promise."

"Good," said Carson. He wiped his mouth with his napkin, stood up, and picked up his plate. "I'm going to go transfer the funds into your account and work on some papers. Wonderful dinner, as always, Hannah."