mind searching

the vampire diaries 2x14 crying wolf

Bonnie, Rowan, and Jeremy were kneeling next to Luka's unconscious body in the living room. Caroline walked in with an armful of candles saying, "We only have, like, an hour or two before my mom gets home, and these are all I could find."

The Gilbert stood up and Caroline handed him the candles, one by one. Explaining to them Bonnie said, "Place these evenly around the room."

Caroline handed the remaining candles to Bonnie, who took them. Jeremy began placing the candles around the room asking, "How does this work?"

"Um, I'll put him in a trance and ask him questions," Bonnie said before adding, "It's like hypnosis."

Not meaning to sound doubtful Rowan asked, "You sure you're strong enough for this?"

Once more she explained, "That's what the candles are for. I'll draw power from the flames."

The blonde with her usual cheer said, "I'll get the matches."

Caroline started to walk away to head into the kitchen but Bonnie stopped her by saying, "I got it." A second later Bonnie shut her eyes focusing for a second and the candles flared up.

Turing around smiling Jeremy said, "Never gonna get used to that."

Smiling Caroline placed hands on hips, "Oh, come on. That's pretty hot, and you know it."

The brunette smirked pressing her lips together as Jeremy smiled blushing. Bonnie looked up at him telling him, "I need a bowl of water."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll--I'll go get it."

Jeremy exited the room leaving the three girls alone and Caroline smiling broadly down at Bonnie, who looked up at her saying, "Okay. What was that? 'It's hot?'"

Whispering Caroline explained, "He is so crushing on you."

The more experienced witch replied having known that already herself, "So?"

Caroline sat down on the floor across from Bonnie saying, "So...What, you'd rather be with traitor warlock over here?"

Surprised Rowan inquired, "You're into Luka?"

Shaking her head Bonnie said, "I'm not into Luka. It's just, you know, he understood me, and he was new and different."

Caroline gave her a soft look before encouraging, "And you've known Jeremy since forever, and you only see him one way, as Elena's brother, but you're a witch, Rowan's a witch with perks, and I'm a vampire. You know, it's not like we're in any position..."

Jokingly Rowan filled in, "To be picky."

Laughing Caroline corrected, "No. To judge."

The girls smiled at each other as Jeremy walked back in the room with a bowl of water. Bonnie took the bowl from Jeremy placing it on the floor by Luka's head. "Watch what I do," Bonnie directed Rowan who nodded willingly.

Bringing their attention back to Luka said, "Looks like he's waking up."

Dipping her hands in the water and placed them on either side of Luka's head. Rowan watched carefully as she shut her eyes performing a non-verbal spell which was shown to be working by the flames of the candles flaring up intensely. Luka started to breathe heavily, "How long is this gonna take?"

"I don't know. He's fighting me," she answered with her eyes opened as Luka began moving his head around, fighting the spell.

Bonnie kept her hands placed on either side of his head as he begged her, "Please stop. Please."

Once again Bonnie closed her eyes and Luka soon followed suit, successfully having been put into a trance. "There," Bonnie said before beginning to question him, "All right. Why are you working with Elijah?"

"Klaus. We both want him dead," Luka answered not having a choice.

Curious she asked, "You want to kill Klaus, too. Why?"

Giving in Luka complied, "Because he has her and we have to get her away from him."

Keeping him in the trance Bonnie asked him, "Who...who are you talking about?"

"My sister."

Voicing his confusion Jeremy repeated, "His sister?"

"Why does he have her," interrogated Bonnie.

Willingly he told her, "He's searching for a way to undo the curse without the doppelgänger and find Rowan. He's forced generations of witches to help him for centuries."

Rowan shifted hearing his answer as Bonnie asked, "What has Elijah promised you?"

Still writhing on the floor he said, "If we help Elijah kill Klaus, he's promised to return her to us."

Getting as much out of him as she could Bonnie asked, "What does Klaus want with Rowan? Is she used in the sacrifice?"

As much as he didn't want to Luka gave in, "No, but Klaus did have the idea to use her in breaking the curse. She's powerful, more powerful than any witch that ever existed, dead or alive. Elijah also said Rowan could be used to protect him from everything and anything that would come his way, and she'd want to."

Confused Bonnie asked her, "Why would she?" Luka struggled against her keeping his mouth shut, "Why would she want to protect him, Luka?"

Having no other choice he divulged, "Because she cared about him." As soon as the words left his lips everyone including Rowan wore confused looks, "But she doesn't know it yet, I don't know why."

"And how do you kill Klaus," the Bennett demanded wanting to keep Klaus away from Rowan and Elena now more than ever before, "How do you kill an Original vampire?"

Luka started to fight the spell again begging her to stop, "He'll kill me if I tell you. Don't make me."

Becoming worried with his fighting Jeremy encouraged him, "It's okay, Bonnie. We can find another way."

Bonnie refused, "No." She put Luka back in a trance, "How will you kill Klaus?"

"After the sacrifice, Klaus will be vulnerable, weak. It's our only chance," Luka confessed.

Confused Caroline repeated, "After the sacrifice?"

"What do you mean, after?"

Luka confirmed his statement by saying, "Klaus will be vulnerable."

As the room filled with fear Bonnie realized, "But Elena will be dead."

Rowan put her hand on her mouth realizing that what was  fleeting thought at the time was now confirmed. When she made the deal with Elijah she knew he specifically kept Rowan's and Elena's name out of his mouth for a reason. Repeating himself Luka said, "Yes. Elena has to die."

Bonnie opened her eyes looking up at Jeremy who shook his head whispering, "No."

Rowan's outfit next chapter