Chapter Twenty

"She had tricked him. She had made him leave his old self behind and come into her world, and then before he was really at home in it but too late to go back, she had left him stranded there like an astronaut wandering about on the moon. Alone."

- Katherine Paterson, Bridge to Terabithia

* * * *

Dedicated to @Dudwegudiya who just is amazing, and a really beautiful soul and a very brilliant mind, my conversations with her have made me realize new dimensions, explore new point of views, and our similar taste and similar personalities have made me feel comfortable to talk for hours and hours...

Thank you for everything, my sweet bright star, and all the very best for the exams and everything in life... I wish you the best of best, sending your way  your a gentle rain of luck, peace and warm hugs...Take care of yourself... <3 <3 <3

* * * * * * * *

With the whirl of dust whipping across my face, I let out a whimper in protest until a giant shadow towered over me, shielding me from the angry vortexes around me.

I swiftly look up at the familiar touch on the small of my back and feel revived, knowing that he is here, with me. Finally, he is here. Manik. His arms warmly embracing me, protectively. And as soon as he does that, everything stops still, no more there is a whirl of dust. I close my eyes, cry in relief for finally getting rid of the loneliness and pain that I had been feeling. As I rest my head on his chest and I feel at peace.

When I open my eyes to look up at him, I find him missing. Disoriented, I look around, my eyes set out on a frantic search. My eyes gaze at the distant horizon and finally find him, walking in a desert, directionless, with the hot sun above his head.

"Manik!" I call out to him, try to stop him but he doesn't listen.

He just keeps moving ahead.

Suddenly, he turns around, smiles at me, and he starts coming back to me. I sigh in relief; he is coming back!

But when I look at the sight that his back is to, it washes me with nothing but panic in the purest form.

I screamed out in fear, my feet staggering in emotional disarray. I run to him, throwing my hands to reach him, to pull him out before the vastness of the ocean could consume him, but my hand meets with only water that waves bring to me.

What was happening?

He is lost...

Manik...

He is lost...

I couldn't save him...

I, to whom he trusted the most, to whom he always thought as his protector, his shining star, couldn't save him.

I couldn't save him....