Over Her Head

"Mellie Craw."

Mellie rose out of her seat and swam towards the older selkie. For some reason anxiety was rising in her like high tide. 

Silence rang in the arena as Mellie silently floated in front of the Prophet. Mellie expected just to float there for a minute or so then swim off, like the others before her had.

A misty glow surrounded Mellie like it had with all the others. Nothing too out of the ordinary. But this time blue smoke also appeared. Mellie yelped and tried to swim, backing into the now blue smoke. She hissed in pain when the blue smoke seemed to be solid. 

Mellie's head snapped towards the Prophet. Her once brown eyes turned into a color of vibrant eerie blue. It was very spooky to be compeletly honest.

Other selkies shrieked as the water currents around them went from calm to a raging typhoon in a second.

Mellie, in a state of panic tried swimming both up and down but she got nowhere. Just seemingly boxed in with the Prophet.

The Prophet started speaking in a strange and raspy voice. It was powerful yet something of mourning.

ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀꜱʜᴇ ᴍᴜꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴛʀɪᴇᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇᴀʀʟᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇꜱꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅɪꜰ ꜱʜᴇ ɪꜱ ᴛʀᴜᴇ ꜱʜᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ʀɪꜱᴇ

As soon as it was said the Prophet collapsed sinking through the water. 

The selkies stared in shock. Mellie even more so, she just wanted a nice peaceful day for the last day of the year. But, of course fate had other plans for the girl.

Two armed selkies came out of the tunnel to first check on the Prophet. Then they glanced around seeing Mellie floating in the center of the arena.

"That's her?" Came a gruff sounding voice.

The other guard shifted his attention to Mellie who was looking terrified. "It has to be. Plus she has blue eyes. No one else could even fake it."

The first guard spoke, "True. Let's grab her then bounce."

"Preach." The second guard muttered. "I hate this job."

Mellie's face contorted in confusion. She didn't have blue eyes, she had brown eyes. In fact nobody had blue eyes in the whole population except for the royals and the Prophet. But they were a complete different matter altogether. 

And apparently Mellie was way over her head.

"Hey kid come with us." One of them said.

Mellie floated backwards in an attempt to escape but a second later she had a pounding ringing in her skull. Then the world went black.