"Oh, well duh. What kind of other bullet would she have meant?" Mary asked before turning her attention back to the mirror. She straightened out the ends of her pale green chiffon dress. "He's so smart. He even helped you ace your chemistry exam."

"Yeah, that boy is really something."

Then Mary changed the subject and said, "It's a shame what happened with Lucy's dad. She would've been a shoo-in for Prom Queen."

"I think that's the least of her worries now," I said.

"It's so horrible what he did to your family, Rory." Sheila said quietly.

"Yeah, it was."

The story of Pennington's disappearance and a detailed description of his crimes had made the front page of the newspaper. Of course, everything about demon portals and magic were excluded. We didn't mention any of that when talking to the cops. Mom had wanted to keep our names out of it to protect me and Connor, but it wouldn't really matter. News traveled fast, and it wouldn't be long until Mary found out anyway, being the huge gossip that she is.

The one good thing that came out of it was having Dad's name cleared. At least people knew the truth and he was no longer known as the man who abandoned his entire family. Ever since the article was released, everyone has been treating me delicately, just like they did when he first disappeared.

"Howard Pennington can go to hell," Mara said. "I hope the cops find him and throw his sorry ass in prison for life."

"I still can't believe he just ran off, and without his daughter too. How despicable," Sheila added.

Mary clapped her hands together suddenly, making us jump. "Okay, let's not talk about these sad things anymore. This is a happy night. We've been looking forward to Prom for months—"

"You mean only you," I said.

"—and let's not have bad feelings ruin our night. The boys will be here with the limo soon and then we can get this party started! Sheila, where are we going for the after party?"

Mara cocked an eyebrow. "After party? Oh God, there's more to this than just a dance?"

"Of course, silly girl!"

I don't think anyone had ever referred to Mara as a 'silly girl' in her entire life.

"Count me out," Mara said bluntly.

"You can't! Elijah is so excited about this."

"Nope. No way."

"You have to," Mary said, just as stubbornly. 

"What exactly are we doing?" I said, stepping between the two of them. "I have a volunteering shift at the hospital tomorrow afternoon, so I can't stay out too late."

Clutching her hand to her chest, Mary said, "Are you serious? Who the heck schedules something for the morning after prom?"

"Someone who was coerced to attend by her friend who is a little too wound up about a high school dance?" I said.

Ignoring my comment, she said, "We can go bowling or figure out if anyone is hosting an after party or see a late movie or grab food—" Mary stopped talking when her phone pinged. She squealed. "That's probably Jared. They're here!"

And then seconds later, the doorbell rang.

"Let the snorefest begin," Mara said while slinging her bag over her shoulder.

I heard my mom answer the door and gush over how handsome everyone looked. Mary pushed past the rest of us and ran eagerly for the hallway while we gathered our things before following her out. Three guys stood awkwardly in the hallway as my mom snapped pictures of them.