Chapter Twenty-Two

Phantom POV:

As I was following the sound of the 'thump' echo, I froze in my tracks as a clear, distinct shot of a gun fired very close by. Who was down here, and what were they shooting at?

I quickly turned a corner, my lasso in hand, and prepared to kill whoever it was that dared trespass on my 'property'. I paused though, as a shriek from a girl scraped against the long tunnel walls. There was scampering and muffled footsteps. Letting my eyes adjust to my surroundings, I saw the back of the man that had stolen my angel and life away. Not thinking, I sulked from behind and threw the noose over Raoul de Changy's head. This was the chance I had been waiting for...

"Stop!" I tightened the lasso, ignoring whoever it was that was yelling. Raoul didn't have time to gasp for air, and he immediately began gagging. "Erik, stop!" I loosened my grasp just the slightest at my name.

I looked past my victim, resting my eyes on Madame Giry's daughter a few feet away on the ground. She looked terrified, and I could tell she had been crying. Then, I caught sight of her bloodied arm. Across from her was a gun on the ground, probably the one I had heard go off. I studied her for a few more seconds, piecing together the picture. Raoul's gun. Meg's wound. I tightened the lasso around the man's neck even more, anger fueling my actions. Raoul clawed at the rope, but it was no use.

"Erik," Meg talked softer. "Please, don't do this. Don't-"

"Erik?" Both of our heads turned as Christine emerged from around a tunnel's bend. I froze, and threw Raoul away from me in panic. What was she doing here!? Raoul coughed and sucked in his precious oxygen, not that he deserved it. Christine drew closer to our three figures, a look of complete confusion plastered on her face. "What are-" she began, but then stopped as she saw Meg's puddle of crimson blood. "Meg!" She ran up to her and kneeled to get a better look at the girl's arm. Not knowing what to do, I simply watched from a distance. The de Changy was still hopelessly coughing a few feet away.

Deciding to try and help tend to Meg's injury, I carefully walked up to the two girls. I crouched down next to Christine, who instantly glared at me, fuming with anger. "It wasn't him who hurt me," Meg quickly spoke up. Christine looked back to her friend, puzzled. Meg sighed, "It was Raoul."