Chapter Nineteen

Phantom POV:

I didn't pay much attention to my surroundings as I climbed through the mirror in the once Prima Donna's dressing room. The tunnel was wet and murky, twisting through the maze of catacombs beneath the opera house. One wrong turn could end with a deadly fate as the concrete floors were slowly crumbling with certain parts that had gaping holes at least fifteen feet deep. A fall into one of those would surely be a mistake. Only I, excluding Madame Giry, knew the way to my chambers through the tunnels; I didn't even think that Christine could find her way, even though she had been to the cave several times.

I twirled around the corners, trying to develop a plan on how to get my Angel to stay...

Raoul POV:

I kicked open the wooden door to Madame Giry's bedchamber which had been locked. The room itself had been spared from the hungry flames so long ago, unlike most of the other dressing rooms down the hallway. I looked around quickly at the dust covered artifacts; portraits, folded clothes, perfumes, and make-up brushes were a few of the many items left behind. I glanced around some more, stopping at the only bookcase in the room. My fingers traced the spines of the books, dusting off the titles as I read each one.

Aha! A larger, bulkier book stood out from the rest. The title, 'Don Juan,' sent back memories of the Opera Populaire before it had been destroyed. The play was supposed to be the best in Paris, but now, it was completely ruined. Remembering Madame Giry's instructions from the previous year, I pulled the book from the bookcase, slightly jumping as the gray wall next to the shelf shifted and opened up to a black, seemly infinite, tunnel. I smiled and lifted the gun to my hands.

This is where the curtain would finally fall on the dear Opera Ghost.