Chapter Five

Christine POV:

The rose and the note took my breath away. I didn't have to look close enough to know who this was from. How could HE? How could HE do this to me!? Here I was, trying to forget everything the past years offered me at the opera house. Here I was, living in hell, while he suddenly decides out of the clear blue to send me THIS.

I felt my knees shake and go weak. I had a hard time standing and leaned against the doorframe for support.

"Christine?" There was clear anxiety in Raoul's voice. He stood and walked closer to me. I shut the door so he wouldn't see the 'gift.'

"No one's," I croaked, "there." I didn't have to look up to picture his expression. His body stiffened and he touched my forehead with the back of his palm.

"What is wrong, my dear?" He asked. "You look as if you've seen a ghost!"

I closed my eyes. "I'm fine, I think I just need to step outside for some fresh air." To throw out the rose and letter, I added only in my thoughts.

He nodded, noting that I wanted to be alone for a moment. I opened the door, just enough where I could sneak through and close it. It took a few moments for me to gain the courage to look down. Below me, the note and rose were in the same position. I reached to grab them both.

I had every intention of ripping the letter to shards and throwing it away, however, I became hypnotised as I read the print of my name in cursive--His handwriting. Why must He make me remember everything I tried desperately to forget in these past months? I couldn't throw this out now, now that I had no choice. I opened the envelope.

Christine,

A understand that you may feel disheartened after receiving this. I also know you are married to the fool, Raoul, and that I can never have you. I won't try to take you ever again, no, but I am dying, Christine. Every memory, every moment I was with you has turned around and began killing me. I need to see you-- to hear you sing. You owe me this, just one wish. Grant me life once more, and I will leave forever.

Your Angel,

Erik