thirty-four.

+ side effects +

+ side effects +

I sat in the familiar metal chair that I had been returning too for the past 2 months to get my serum doses. Today was to be my last scheduled dose before I was signed off, now being a fully functioning super soldier. The restraints were pulled tight around my wrists and ankles. I had my head tilted back, eyes squeezed shut as I got hooked up to the machine. My first few doses were difficult, I would scream and kick them eventually pass out, but I didn't anymore, I had gotten use to the pain.

"Okay, Alyona that's the serum reaching your bloodstream" Gerber said to me as I clenched my fists, the serum burning through my veins as it made its way around my body. I clenched my jaw, adamant in not screaming in pain like I used to. I squeezed my eyes shut even harder, clenching my fists so hard it probably drew blood from my hands.

"That's it all in now, give it 2 minutes and I will disconnect you from the machine" Gerber told me, taking his seat next to the serum machine, getting ready to turn it off and disconnect me from it. I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding, breathing heavily as I relaxed my body. "This is the last one right?" I slurred slightly, not opening my eyes yet.

"Yes, after this your serum should be in full effect" he said to me, pulling the needle from my vein. When we first started he would push a tissue onto my skin to dab up the tiny amount of blood that made its way through before my cells would reconstruct the tiny wound in a matter of seconds, which was quite impressive. I nodded my head in reply, slowly opening my eyes, adjusting to the light in the room.

"Here" he said, handing me a towel which I used to wipe the sweat from my forehead and neck. "Thanks" I breathed out, slowly sitting up from my reclined position. I swung my legs down into the ground, putting my elbows on my knees and buckling over, trying to regain my breathing. "How do you feel?" Gerber asked me, rolling the machine back over to the metal table.

"Like shit" I said quietly, putting my heads in my hands. "Well that will pass, you'll feel better soon" he said to me as nicely as possible. "Yeah, I know" I said, taking a deep breath through my nose, exhaling through my mouth. "Is it over?" I heard Matthias say, the door clanging shut as he walked into the room. "Yes, she needs minute" Gerber told, him presumably motioning towards me as I was still buckled over.

"I'm presuming you've told her about it" He asked Gerber, who was trying to object. "I'm, no, I was waiting" he said sighing deeply, hesitating as his eyes shifted over to me. "Tell her what?" I asked, slowly lifting my head from my hands. "Nothing" Gerber stuttered, looking from me to Matthias, who now looked rather worried. "Tell me what?" I repeated loudly, less asking now demanding. "There's been a problem" Matthias said, pushing his glasses up bus nose. "What kind of problem?" I snapped with furrowed eyebrows, heavily confused.

Neither of them replied, both looking both at the ground, not making eye contact wit me. "Is there a problem with the serum?" I said once more, pushing myself up, stumbling a little bit as I was still recovering from my new dose. "Do you want to tell her?" Matthias said, looking at Gerber who took a deep breath in. "Alyona" he started, looking over at me before clearing his throat.

"There's been a new discovery concerning your black widow serum and this serum" he started, bowing his head slightly. "What type of concern?" I asked, my fists clenched at my side, my voice bouncing off on the walls. "The new serum you have been receiving has reacted strangely with your original serum, it's something none of us could of predicted" he stumbled, clearly trying to think of a good way to tell me.

"What's happened?" I shouted, my eyes wide. "It's stopped the loss of your cells" he said, which made me even more confused. "Which does what?" I asked, looking at Matthias, demanding some explanation. "It's ceased your ageing processes" Matthias said to me confidently, shifting on his feet. "My ageing process" I repeated under my breath, hoping this wasn't real.

"So I won't age anymore" I rambled. "I'm immortal, I'm never going to die, I'm going to be 23 forever" I said, stumbling backwards from the two men. My breathing picked up again, not knowing
how to react to this. "How long have you known this for?" I asked them, my voice raised once again. "Since your second dose" Gerber said, still looking at the floor.

"And you didn't think to tell me?" I shouted. "You don't think I would have opted out of this? I didn't sign up to live forever, I signed up for none of this" I said, kicking over a stool that sat beside my chair which fell to the floor with a clang, Matthias flinching slightly. "I chose not to tell you, or you wouldn't have agreed" Matthias said, staring at me, trying to predict my next move of anger. "Damn right I wouldn't have" I screamed, needing to punch something desperately.

"Alyona you need to calm down" Gerber said to me, holding his hand out towards me as if I was going to attack him. "Don't" I said, marching past them and out the door, slamming it behind me.

I marched down the hallway, opening another door that led to the stairwell, almost ripping it off the hinges. "Watch it, Ivankova" Ahren snapped at me as I almost body slammed into him. I walked past him, running down the stairs as quick as I could. "Are you okay?" he shouted after me, leaning over the railing, watching me as I descended.

I never answered him, continuing to run down the stairs, opening a random door to a less populated floor of the compound. "No" I mumbled under my breath, leaning against the wall, slumping onto the floor, putting my head in my hands.

I'm not okay.

——

A/N: okay so I didn't really like how I wrote this but i needed to somehow explain how she would still be alive for the modern MCU movies.
So yes she's immortal meaning she doesn't age, but that doesn't mean she can't die.
anyway please vote and comment and i'll see you all soon