III. Many Meetings

Start from the beginning

            “Hmm, an interesting proposal,” I told her.

            “I figured you would want to move out of your old room.” She shrugged. “Unless you would rather stay in there—”

            “No, really. I do like the room I am in now, but I think change could not hurt.”

            “Great. I was also thinking about getting you out and exploring Minas Tirith more today.”

            “What did you have in mind?” I asked.

            “I was thinking a little walk around, if you are up to it.”

            “Would you be escorting me or would someone else?”

            “That would depend on the time of day, and if I am not busy.” She chuckled. “You are also welcome to join me and a few others for lunch if you want since you are moving into the castle today.”

            “I will think about it.”

            With a nod of acknowledgment, Arwen let me be to enjoy the morning alone.

*     *     *

            I had contemplated Arwen’s proposals in my mind various times when I went to bathe. I had come to love the healers who were so gracious to me here. I could still visit them, surely, when I moved into the castle. I would not forget them. They had watched over me, helped me recover even though they had no idea what I had endured before being found by that young Man in the middle of nowhere.

            The idea of touring Minas Tirith further intrigued me. I had not really been in civilization for a long time. I could recall the last time I had been in a village or city—it had not been a pleasant visit.

            When Arwen had personally come to fetch me, I had just had one of the healers combing my hair. Yes, I know, I should be plenty old enough to brush my own hair, but the healer insisted that she do it—she had nothing better to do since there were barely any patients in the Houses at the moment. To be honest, I enjoyed the time she took in brushing my hair, it felt like a bonding moment. It reminded me of when I was a little girl, how my mother would do the same thing, comb through my hair. I had always loved it when she did that, it made me feel close to her, just like how I felt close to my father whenever he would always tell me stories or we would be alone together and talk the days away.

            My mood dampened in that moment. I missed my parents dearly. They had to remember me still, after all this time. I swallowed, fearing the worst: that my parents had forgotten about me or believed that I was dead. My heart ached at the thought of my worst fear coming true.

            If Arwen noticed my temporary mood dip, she did not bother to inquiry me about it. That was what I liked about her; she knew boundaries very well and did not step over them, respecting the person’s wishes. Still, I felt bad that I was shutting her out from asking personal questions. I knew she wanted me to open up and tell her my life story. However, I was not quite ready to do that with anyone. I barely knew Arwen, and even though she seemed like a very trusting person, I would not reveal anything more about myself to her until I felt like I could truly confide in her.

            I felt intimidated, entering the courtyard of the castle. Apparently, Minas Tirith consisted of seven levels, and the Houses of Healing were on the sixth. The castle, naturally, was the top level of the city. Let me tell you, the view was astounding. In the center of the courtyard stood a white tree that was currently blossoming. It was accompanied by a small fountain. The cool stone beneath my feet was the cleanest surface I had ever walked on.