14

• Aria's POV •

My eyes were puffy. My mascara was running down my face. I looked a mess. Ezra was going to be back soon and, needless to say, I was scared shitless. How i was going to tell him, I don't know. I choked on my tears as the salty substance entered my mouth. Everything was a mess.

Suddenly, I heard the keys to Ezra's apartment rattle through the lock. I quickly got some tissues to soak up the liquid streaming down my face, and to hide the black waterfalls my mascara managed to form.

"Aria?"

"Uh, in here," I replied.

"Aria! You would never guess what happened in wor-..." he hesitated. "What's wrong?" he asked sympathetically, furrowing his dark brows.

"I, uh, i'm fine," I mumbled, sounding choked up.

"Aria," he said sternly. "I know when you're lying. Baby, please tell me. Did something happen?"

My chin quavered uncontrollably as i tried to hold in the tears threatening to spill.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, before running out the door. He tried chasing me but I was already gone.

It was dark - pitch black, in fact. And I was sat on the dry mud in the middle of god-knows-where. I thought this would help me clear my head, but I kept getting distracted by the damn owl who kept hooting for fuck knows what. I was too scared to go back - I couldn't. I couldn't face him. Just picturing his face when I tell him the news made me sick to my stomach. I knew it wasn't my fault but I couldn't help but feel somewhat guilty. Like this is my price for, I don't know, blinding Jenna. Or killing Sauna. Or god knows what fucking else I've done that the universe still hasn't forgiven me for.

"Aria, Please talk to me! Aria!" Ezra's deep voice brought me out of my thoughts. "Aria, thank god, there you are! Ezra sighed in relief.

I whimpered in despair, as if all the emotions I've been trying to control have all broken loose.

"I'm so sorry!" I cried out, hugging him tightly. I mumbled it into his shirt repeatedly.

"Look at me. Aria, look at me," he said, looking me in the eyes. I looked back. "Now tell me what happened."

I immediately broke down in tears.

"If i told you, you would hate me forever. I feel like it's all my fault. I can't deal, I can't deal, I can't de..." my voice was breaking with every word.

"I could never be angry at you. You're my true love, my saviour, the mother to my baby, my fiancé, my soon to be wife, and, my everything. I love you so fucking much, Aria Montgomery,"

His words broke me. I felt like I had been pierced in the heart with a shard of glass. But nothing could prepare me for what I was about to say.

"Ezra... I lost the baby."

-

i'm back bitches

-