Chapter Sixteen

Beginne am Anfang

"Is that why you disliked me when we first met?" Richard asked, seeming to sense she did not wish to go into depth about the previous subject any longer. "Because you thought I would be like him?"

"I now know that I was wrong but, at the time, I'd heard a number of rumours. They said you were a rake, and I thought all rakes were like Edgar. I expected you to be just as cruel as he, but I must say I am pleasantly surprised." She managed a smile, and he grinned at her once before asking his next question.

"Do you love him still? Is that why you seem so upset now?" His words caused her to scoff immediately.

"Certainly not! I learnt my lesson right then and there. I fell out of love with him soon after, but it is his cruelty which continues to affect me. To have been treated like that was not only insulting but humiliating. It broke my heart. Until then, I was obsessed with the idea of romance and society and the ton, despite my sister's warnings, but my faith in all such things was broken by him. My naivete was shattered, so I suppose that is why it continues to hurt me to think of it."

"You did not deserve to go through anything like that. And, since I already know you will be against it, I will not threaten to run him through with a sword, even though my hands itch to do so." Richard said, and she laughed loudly, not only at his words but also at the comical manner in which he had spoken them.

"Well, you have changed my opinion on rakes, to be sure." Allie informed him, allowing herself to be spun, relying on Richard's steady hand to hold her upright after she did so. She herself was rather quick to fall.

"Oh, have I?" He asked mischievously, laughter dancing in his eyes. "Have you come to the realisation that not all of us are awful?"

"Quite the contrary, actually." Allie informed him, simply for the sake of teasing him. "Each of you is more terrible than the last. You simply are lower in the order than he and some others."

"And are you going to speak to your betrothed in such a way?" Richard demanded, pretending to be wounded. "I have half a mind to leave you stranded at the chapel, rending a handkerchief and begging me to arrive."

"You would be so cruel?" Allie gasped, "I am afraid I have made a terrible mistake in allowing myself to become affianced to you!"

"Not nearly as terrible a mistake as I have made." He said stiffly, but they could not maintain this farce of an argument any longer and the both of them dissolved into fits of laughter, her loud giggles combining with his booming chuckles and successfully drawing nearly half the eyes in the room to them.

"I think we are soon to be turned out of our own ball." Allie said, once they'd quietened. While some of the less conservative of the attendees did not mind them much, the remaining more traditional attendees had disapproval clearly etched into their features.

"I would not mind leaving immediately myself." Richard confessed with a short laugh, "This ball is turning out to be a dreadful bore."

"Even dancing with me?" She asked, with a fake affronted tone, quirked eyebrow, and childish pout, all of which only made him chuckle.

"This has been the worst of it, to be sure." He said to her, which only made her pout further.

"Are you determined to offend me?" She questioned, the pace of their movements slowing as the song was beginning to come to an end.

"If you believe my jibe to actually be true, then you deserve to be offended." He said remorselessly, and she glanced around to make sure no one was watching before quickly sticking her tongue out at him childishly.

"It appears you are five years old now, rather than twenty." He jested, as the music finally stopped, and they came to a halt. She curtsied and he bowed, eyes locked on to one another the entire time with something heated, yet somehow soft passing between them. Finally, when everyone else began applauding, they were jolted back into their senses and joined in.

"Are you disappointed your brother could not be here?" Richard asked curiously, and Allie paused before nodding, her smile bittersweet.

"I understand why he could not come, but I certainly do miss him." She explained, taking Richard's arm and allowing him to lead her away.

Still in a merry mood despite the sudden reminder of her brother's absence, Alexandra and Richard retook their place receiving guests but, to their surprise, the Duke was not where they had left him.

Richard hailed a passing footman, who was bearing a salver of glasses filled three quarters of the way with champagne. The footman offered them the tray, but Richard waved him off after glancing at Allie who shook her head. She had never been able to abide with the taste of the beverage.

"Do you happen to know where His Grace is?" Richard asked politely, but his rigid jaw gave away his worry. From what she had learnt, Allie garnered that it was nothing like his father to abandon his post at the entrance to greet his guests.

"I escorted His Grace to his chamber myself, Master Richard." The footman said, and Richard froze. "He said he was feeling far too under the weather to remain at the ball much longer and, if I may speak freely, he appeared to be close to collapse."

"Dear God." Richard whispered under his breath and the footman, sensing it was time for him to take his leave, did so with a bow. Allie tensed at Richard's reaction, and she could see anxiousness betake him. She placed a gentle hand on his upper arm, meant to soothe him, but he did not seem to notice.

Knowing that he would not be able to rest easy, she whispered, "Go to him. Make sure he is alright and ensure that he wants for nothing. I shall keep them all occupied."

"Surely I can't leave you alone to look after all our guests, especially with all these gossipmongers and judging eyes!" Richard exclaimed, but his temptation to do as she bade was evident. Only a little more convincing would be required for him to listen.

"Your father is more important." She assured him, "And I am more than used to handling all sorts deftly enough. One more night of doing so will hardly make a difference."

"Are you sure?" He asked, chewing on his lip nervously and she squeezed his arm briefly with a little smile, finding his protectiveness endearing.

"I am very sure." Allie promised, letting go of him. "Now, leave this ballroom immediately or I shall have no choice but to throw everyone out before midnight so that you will be forced to do so."

"You are an absolute angel." He informed her, pressing a kiss to the back of her gloved hand, and even the fabric between them could not prevent her from flushing brilliantly. Fortunately, he was far too preoccupied to notice her embarrassment, and she very well could not blame him— His Grace had shown, if not an improvement, steady health for the past few days and this sudden departure from it was sure to be troubling.

It was as she watched him retreating, his sharp figure easily cutting through the crowd, that she came to a sudden realisation— she had somehow allowed herself to fall in love with her betrothed.