Chapter 12: A Family Dinner

Magsimula sa umpisa

My Dad's AWOL, my Mom's an alcoholic who has no responsibility, and the only relative I care about is sleeping on the couch in my dorm. I doubt I'll have a fancy Thanksgiving dinner to go to.

♕♕♕

"It's beeginning to look a lot like Christmaass! Everyywheere you gooo!"

I wish I could say waking up to this was terrible, the worst thing to be greeted by, but opening my eyes around noon, on a Thursday in November, to the singing voice of a man I quite possible could be falling in love with... it was the most beautiful way to wake up. I'd been on Thanksgiving break a week now, and every day Drake had woken me up at exactly 12pm by singing a Christmas carol at the top of his lungs. I glanced at him and saw that he was wearing Star Wars pajama bottoms and no shirt, his incredible body startling me, as it did every time I saw him.

I pulled my blanket over my head and groaned, pretending to be upset. When I knew Drake couldn't see my face, I flashed a soft smile.

"Taake a loook at the five-and-ten, glistening once agaiiinn!!" I heard a whoosh and then Drake's body was on top of mine. All of the air was knocked out of my body, I squealed, Drake smiled. Was this what it was like to be in love?

"You know it's Thanksgiving, right?" I asked him. Drake pulled the blankets back and crawled into bed with me, wrapping his body around mine. His arms circled around my waist.

"Yes, I am aware of the date, Evelyn. It's not all mashed potatoes and gravy up here," his hand moved and I knew he was pointing at his head, a dorky smile probably on his face. I laughed. Yes, this was what it was like to be in love.

We had a blissful moment of silence, a moment where I got a chance to notice how Drake smelled like pumpkin pie, probably the result of him compulsively walking in front of Kate's motion-detecting pumpkin scented air freshener. I felt his cold toes wiggling against my feet, and his thumb stroking my arm. I was enveloped in the warmth from his body, and almost allowed myself to fall back asleep.

But of course, the moment didn't last very long.

"It's the most beautiful time of the yeaaaar. Lights fill the streets spreading so much cheeeer. I should be playing in the winter snooow. But I'mma be under the mistletooee." A different voice sang softly as they entered the room. My gut told me it was Matthew, but I flipped my body and buried my face into Drake's chest instead of facing him.

"Now that's just rude," the singing stopped.

Drake laughed and his chest started vibrating as he, too, began muttering Justin Bieber to me. "I don't wanna miss out on the holiday, but I can't stop staring at your face. I should be playing in the winter snow, but I'mma be under the mistletoe." I buried my face deeper into Drake's chest, and inhaled the smell of pumpkin. I laid my cheek against his warm skin, oh I was so in love.

You'd think the realization that I was in love with Drake Anderson would scare me, especially after what I'd gone through. But it was surprisingly the most comforting thought I'd ever had. I had never believed in love, I'd never had good examples to show me that love could work. But being with Drake made me feel safe, a feeling I never had before.

"With yoouu, shawty with you. With yoou, shawty with you. With yoouuu, under the mistletooe," they sang in harmony. I pulled myself away from Drake's warmth and peeked at Matthew. He had on an atrocious looking Christmas sweater, topped off with a reindeer-antlers headband.

"Do you guys know what month it is? Am I the only one who knows how to read a calendar?" I laughed. Matthew's jaw dropped and he faked a look of sorrow. Drake sat up and made the same look as Matt.