tommy shelby: someone you loved.

Start from the beginning

It was a week later when you bumped into Tommy again. The two of you working your way towards each other before you could even order a drink in the pub that you had become fond of. Conversation flowed once more, this time in more detail as you whispered secrets to him, shared childhood memories and laughed over your silly love life that never seemed to work out - mostly because of your own insecurities. It felt right to be in each other's company, no awkwardness as you confessed all of your greatest sins, admitted to being a little shit as a child and sending your mother crazy during the school holidays. It was a fun conversation with nothing to kill the mood.

+++

"Are you seriously telling me that you ended up in the local newspaper because you robbed a packet of biscuits from the shop?"

You nodded your head as you giggled along with Tommy, mentally writing down a note to remind yourself to find out the newspaper clipping. "Apparently there isn't a lot of crime or interesting news in my old town so a ten-year old girl stealing from her local shop was front-page worthy."

"Murders happen around here and they don't even make it onto the front page of The Birmingham Mail."

You licked your lips and leaned forwards, mouth close to Tommy's ear as you whispered a question that had been bugging you since you found out more information from close friends about the infamous Shelby family. "And who commits these murders, Mr. Shelby?"

You could practically feel his smirk despite not being able to see his face, your question amusing him greatly as he pulled you away from the side of his head with a hand on the back of your neck. "I think that depends on who's asking."

"Someone who doesn't give a shit about your past, future or present."

"Well then, I think we best have a chat."

+++

Tommy's blue eyes brightened whenever they were with you, his feelings developing even more with each passing day. You distracted him from his work, kept him sane at night without even being there and you brought him happiness for the first time in over four years. It was moving too quick for his liking but Tommy wasn't going to stop. He was a determined man that would go after anything that came him way and after a few dates, he swore that he had found his future with you.

Tommy began to worry when you became his life support. He struggled to go a night without feeling your skin on his as you brought him pleasure, couldn't bear the thought of his life without you as he planned business ventures around his future that did involve you. It had only been a few months but here Tommy was, acting like a man he said he would never be. It was hard for him to open up to people, his emotions bottled up inside until he was finally alone and could release them without being judged by his peers, but with you it was different. There was no reason to have another personality when outside of his bedroom, you brought the old Tommy back to life.

Polly was forever thankful for your presence in the house when Tommy had endured a rough day. Your calm personality and softly spoken words calmed him down straight away as you reminded him that the business wasn't everything, there was more to life than earning lots of money and making a name for yourself. Tommy knew that you were right, he should have been thankful that he was alive unlike some of his other comrades but for so long, he had dreamed of making lots of money and bringing his family up in the world with him. Business was all Tommy had ever really known, his heart set on becoming a victorious entrepreneur with a tremendously large house, plenty of horses and a wife to share his fortune with. It soon became clear though that you would never be the woman who spent the rest of her life with Tommy.

You loved Tommy, that you knew, but as months passed, you realised that your personalities clashed. Tommy was business focused and never lived in the moment, always choosing to plan ahead so he could succeed. You, on the other hand, were completely different. All you wanted was Tommy's love, the Tommy that you had grown attached too over the space of a few weeks. You felt alive when Tommy was being himself and not worrying about when the next pay check would come in, you enjoyed the conversations that didn't involve bookkeeping and the race tracks, chats about the life on the road and his traveller heritage bringing you the most joy. Those moments became scarce though as the months passed and business became his main priority.

You left too soon in Tommy's eyes. Your suitcases packed as you told him that you were moving to another City to get a fresh start, the short relationship over before it had even begun. Tommy had plans for you and him, an empire that you would call your own, the power couple of Birmingham but your free spirit wouldn't allow it. You felt you were too young to be tied down to a man, marriage something that didn't appeal to you at that present time. Maybe a part of you refused to believe how deep your love was for Tommy and that you were petrified of your feelings for him.

Tommy laid awake every night after you had left. His heart was officially broken and he felt pathetic. The relationship that the two of you had shared was something special to Tommy, his first chance of having something normal after spending four years in the trenches so to have it suddenly taken away was a shock to the system, his cold and lonely nights becoming more of a struggle than ever before. He ended up turning to the opium, the drugs making him pass out in bed but not before imaging what his future could have been if he had changed his ways earlier and fought harder for you.

For the first time in his life, Tommy felt the need to have a woman by his side. Lonely nights did nothing but sink him back into sadness as he dreamt about your touch, infectious laughter and the smile that only ever left your face when an argument occurred between you and Tommy. It killed him whenever he had upset you, harsh words spoken after a frustrating day but he always showed you how much he appreciated you with flowers sent to your door and kisses lined across your neck. Tommy Shelby needed the intimacy of another woman and it just so happened an Irish lady managed to steal his heart all over again.