left alone in the wilderness

The occasional rustling of leaves from a nearby cluster of bamboo trees created an eerie creaking sound, breaking the deafening silence of the night. The feeling of having unwelcomed companions lurking in the dark made me feel restless, awake and scared. After all, it was my first night away from the comfort of my home.

Our Company sent me ahead of the construction team to survey the project area in Tanay and I had nobody with me but a number of guards stationed to prevent squatting. It was my first day in a place I knew nothing about. Everywhere was colored green except the blue sky; tall grasses and trees were staring at me in panic and anger because, in a few days' time, I would have them cut down, scraped from the topsoil and dumped away.

The middle-aged caretaker of the property served as my guide and to take care of my needs. In our conversations, he warned me to be extra careful from spirits, others unfriendly, believed to inhabit the place.

"In the early mornings, keep away from the eaves."

I gave him a questioning look. What's wrong with it, I wondered.

"It happened again last week; I swept the surroundings of the bamboo hut. Cold water sprinkled over me. I sprang away from the hut. The water was not enough to drench but it surprised me. Then I looked over the roof. Just like before, no one was there."

"And who did the sprinkling? Could be a shower?"

He smiled. "Today is summer, sir. It was done by one of the elves staying in this house. So if it happened to me, it could also happen to you and to anyone else."

Since he was a local hire, he went home to his family, a couple of miles away, thus leaving me alone to sleep in the hut.

After an early dinner--a dinner by myself, I stayed inside my room. I watched the sun from my window as it set behind the clouds and the trees. As darkness fell, I locked the door and closed the windows. The fear of this unfamiliar place slowly crept within my thoughts and pricked my spine.

The story of the elves loitering in and out of the house came into my mind. He said that they wouldn't hurt anyone. They're just playful. But what about the other spirits that he mentioned? My heart began to beat out of its normal course. My night would be long.

As time passed by, my perspiration started to soak my shirt. There was no electric fan or even a piece of cardboard to fan myself. As if I was in a box, the door and windows were closed.

I just closed my eyes, waiting for sleep to visit me. After a while, a slight and short breeze touched my cheek. It's refreshing but frightening. How could there be air in a closed room?

I opened my eyes but I saw nothing but darkness. I quickly got up and lighted the lamp with the match beside it.

The breeze I felt must have put off the light from my lamp, an arms length away from me.

I lay down again and closed my eyes. Another soft breeze touched my cheek and the light went off again. My body hair rose. Somebody is playing with me.

I sat down on the edge of my bed again and lighted the lamp. I remained seated and observed what would happen next. A minute went by, another and another until a quarter of an hour passed by and nothing happened. I grew tired of waiting and I lay down again. I stared on the ceiling above me, not closing my eyes. Then the breeze came again and put off the light.

This is too much. I'll go crazy lighting the light until morning. I must do something.

I got up on my feet. I grabbed the flashlight beside the gas lamp and walked to the door.

But I stood still, fearful of what was on the other side--the vast receiving room and kitchen. Thoughts of elves waiting under the bamboo stairs ready to grab my legs, a headless woman waving at me, a white lady walking suspended in the air, the man in white by the river and more creepy creatures haunted my frightened mind. What should I do? Remain inside the room...alone? Make me crazy with the on and off the light? No! I must know if the guard assigned to me is in his post to secure me for the night. It's the only way to pacify my unsettled mind.

I walked closer to the door. But I heard queer little voices under my bed and they were laughing. I turned around and focused the light where I heard them. There was silence. Am I hearing right or just a product of my imagination? I reached for the handle of the door and the noise went back. I dropped on my knees and focused the light under my bed. I searched for the source of the noise but I saw nothing but the legs of my wooded bed.

Convinced that there was nothing to search for, I got up and reached for the handle of the door again and the noise came back. I kicked my bed and quickly pulled the door open. Darkness encased my eyes, sending shivers all over my body. It was a different fright, much more than the queer sounds under my bed. I stiffened and couldn't point my flashlight a bit further of the empty open area for fear of seeing someone supernatural watching me. I couldn't afford seeing one for it would surely drive away my soul out of my body. Cautiously, or nervously, I walked down the bamboo steps into the kitchen. There was no railing to hold on to. I limit the lights of my flashlight to my steps.

The thought of someone following me further inflamed my fear. My body hair rose, my heart pumped faster than ever before and I felt eyes all around watching every step I made. My feet froze but I pushed myself to go on or die in fear in the dark. Finally, I reached the front door and I stepped out of the hut.

The moonlight greeted me. Would it be a reason to rejoice? Was it my ally or enemy? As far as I know, spirits of any kind come out and loiter to enjoy the night. But somehow it gave me life as I leaned against the wall, making sure that there would be no one behind me. I filled my lungs with fresh air.

My eyes scanned the area with the hope of seeing the guard assigned to me. I pointed my flashlight under a makeshift roofed space, thinking that the blue guard might be there sleeping, but only a cold empty chair was there staring at me.

I kept on calling him but there was no answer. Instead, a cold breeze answered. The tingling coldness touched my skin and crept into my nerves. The bamboo started swaying until the leaves and stems created cracking sounds that further sent me in indescribable fear.

My body hairs rouse once more. The feeling of eyes prying on me ran over my spine again.

I was alone in the wilderness, standing alone in my frightened thoughts.

...............

I made my way through the wooded area and reached the group of guards. Thanks, now I'm still here and able to write my experience.