Chapter Five

To say Peter was exhausted could have been the greatest understatement of the world. Bruce had said that even with Peter's enhanced healing abilities that it would take a while for him to be completely healed and back to his full abilities. The teen was starting to get frustrated with his level of physical and mental exhaustion.

"Peter you are still healing. You need to take it easy," Bruce said as Peter attempted to stand on his own. Tony's arms shot out to steady Peter as the teen almost fell.

"I know." The teen sighed. "But I can't always have someone there to help me. You guys are too busy for that."

"We aren't too busy for you," Tony said. That only seemed to frustrate the teen more.

"You see! You guys are always canceling stuff and acting like I'm the most important thing in the world," Peter yelled, even he was surprised by his outburst. "I'm sorry..."

"Peter what have we told you about apologizing? You don't have to," Tony said.

"Ugh. I know what you said." A frown dawned Peter's face. Peter stood still for a second before taking a step. He stumbled slightly but regained his balance.

"Take it easy Peter." Bruce's voice was harsh. But Peter knew better than to take it to heart.

"I will Uncle Brucie," Peter said. Then an almost horrified look passed his features. "Uh...I...uh,"

Bruce had a shocked look on his face, but it melted into compassion. "Uncle Brucie huh? I could get used to it." Peter gave a small smile, happy that Bruce wasn't mad. And from there on, the Avengers were like Peter's aunts and uncles. Tony was, of course, his father figure. Peter was slowly but surely moving on. His recovery didn't take too long. He could now do things on his own, but he still wasn't cleared for patrolling.

Peter walked into the kitchen early Saturday morning. Typical of him, he had woken up due to a nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep. He sat at the table sipping on a mug of hot chocolate. Clint walked in quietly. Peter didn't even notice he was there, he was thinking about the nightmare he had. Suddenly Peter flinched back so hard the chair fell over.

Peter let loose a silent scream as the fall rattled his still sore ribs. "Jesus kid! Chill out!" Clint said going over to help Peter.

"Don't sneak up on me!" Peter whined as Clint helped him up.

"Believe it or not, I didn't mean to this time. I didn't even know you were in here."

"Uh-huh, sure."

"I mean it, kid," Clint said. Peter picked up the chair, grabbed his cup of hot chocolate, and walked into the living room. He set his mug down on the coffee table and grabbed the remote. Peter turned on the TV and put 'Friends' on. He sat on the couch, legs drawled up to his chest and was quiet the rest of the morning. Clint didn't push him to talk, remembering that Sam said if they pushed Peter too hard it could send him spiraling again.

After everyone was up, Steve and Bucky went to the gym to train. Peter wanted to follow but was cornered by Bruce and Tony.

"Please! I promise I'll take it easy!" Peter argued. Bruce gave Peter a look that shut the teen up. "Fine."

"Peter I don't want you hurting yourself again. That's that," Bruce said.

Peter gave a defeated sigh. "I know...but you guys can't protect me forever," Peter said. "I'm not a two-year-old that needs to be bubble wrapped."

"We know Peter. But you are-"

"Still healing. I know," Peter finished. "I'll make a deal with you," Peter said.