Skid and Go

Robert brings himself to a skidding halt. He reads bold-underlined letters: "Apartment Complex Coming Soon!" The company is no longer there. He looks from outside the locked doors into an empty space. He thinks to himself: how was the company phone ringing when I called? He walks sitting atop Sophia toward Phomania, pulls out his phone, and calls Cally.

"There's no one here. The building is empty. There's no company here anymore." There is a pause on the line. Static crackles through the phone line. Robert hears Cally sigh.

"Robert, where are you?"

"Phomania, you?"

"On my way, stay near the entrance. Be ready to pedal! Put your phone away!" Robert looks around him holding his phone to his ear. He hears the phone line disconnect and slides his phone into his pocket with a deep breath and a sigh as he maintains an active aware gaze, his head swiveling like a sonar looking to detect any sign of any thing that might have to concern him.

Honking echoing, people crowding the sidewalk, no bikes in sight, car tires rolling against concrete, no Cally, footsteps and chatter rising and falling from the tallest to the lowest building, birds purring like flying cats leaping unafraid from a ledge to the ground only letting people feed them, not touch them. Robert does not know where to set his gaze, he remains observant and still. He moves out the way for people excusing theirselves by him into Phomania then a hand rests on his shoulder. He turns to find Elnie wearing an apron with the words "Phomania" on the front smiling at him and not too long after his hello Cally tugs him by the back of his collar. Robert nearly falls with Sophia but catches his footing to pedal with Cally through the crowd making way for them while throwing glances back at Elnie's bewildered face.