Chapter Five

Two days later

As both Kara and Lena gazed out of the large window in the Hufflepuff common room, their eyes brightened at the sight of snow drifting to the ground, covering the green grass in a white coat. They had been sat on a few cushions for a while now. The blonde was grinning and watching each snowflake intensely; Lena, however, was more focused on the girl beside her. Sure, snow was fun to watch, but the real fascination was her new 'friend' (according to Kara).

"We should go to Hogsmeade!" Kara exclaimed, putting her hands together. Lena gripped tighter onto the window ledge and shrugged.
"I'm not sure-"

"Come on, Lee, we have to! Don't tell me you've never had Butterbeer at Christmas." Kara finally glanced over at the raven-haired girl, who was still looking back at her.

Lena's heart skipped a beat and her head felt light for a moment. No one ever gives her a nickname. No one usually calls her anything but 'Luthor'.

The girl just bit the inside of her cheek and stared. Kara's jaw dropped and she shuffled closer to Lena. "... Have you even tried Butterbeer?

"N-No..." Lena choked out, leaning black slightly in preparation for the burst of energy she knew was about to emerge from the blonde.
"Lena! It's the best. We have to go now!" Kara slid off of the cushion and rose to her feet, holding an open hand out to her friend. Lena hesitantly took the girl's hand and was surprisingly dragged to her feet and pulled out of the room.

~~~

The blonde and the dark-haired girl slowly walked across the fresh snow, taking notice of their footprints being embedded into the blanket. Lena was silent and listened intently to Kara babbling on about something to do with... Alex... snow angels... hot chocolate... and Christmas.

"Are you- are you going home for Christmas?" Kara hesitantly asked, tilting her head to glance at the shy Slytherin.
"No... I-I'm not. I don't really have anywhere to go. My family- well..." Lena mumbled and Kara stared with a noticeable amount of sympathy in her bright blue eyes.

They remained silent for the rest of the journey, keeping their heads down. Kara kept her excitement held back after finding out that Lena wasn't too keen on Christmas. Green eyes stared down at the floor, and then to her hand. Slowly, she slid her pale hand into Kara's, not saying a word. Kara flinched and looked down, but Lena had already pulled away. "S-sorry."

The Hufflepuff bit her bottom lip and after a few more steps, she found the hand and held it tightly again.
"Don't be sorry." She softly spoke, swaying their hands back and forth slightly as they reached the entrance to Hogsmeade.

Lena smiled to herself, focusing on how soft Kara's skin felt against hers, and how her thumb occasionally grazed along the back of her hand. This was extremely unusual for Lena. No one came this close to a Luthor. They wouldn't dare. But Kara did. She dared.

Thank you so much for 100+ reads!!