“I lived in South Carolina for a while, then moved up here to stay with my grandmother.  I’ve only been in Brighton for a couple of days.”  I wasn’t certain how much I should tell her.

“Well don’t you worry a bit,” she said patting my knee.  “I’ve been here for a couple ‘a months, now.  I’ll look out for you.  First thing you need to watch out for are those rich kids from the other side of town—they think they’re a step above everyone else.”

When I didn’t answer, she realized her mistake.  “Your grandmother isn’t from…”

I nodded.

She buried her face into her hands.  “I’m so bad at this.  I’m sorry.  I’ve lived in one place my whole life—I never imagined I’d have to start over like this.”

“How about we start over?” I suggested.

She uncovered her face.  “That would be so great.”

“Asking for my name is usually a good place to start.”

Her eyes got big again.  “I didn’t—oh gosh, I’m sorry.  What’s your name?”

“It’s Ana.”

She smiled and shook my hand again.  “Hello Ana, I’m Taylor.”

If not for Taylor’s arrival, I doubt I would have made it through orientation with any shred of my sanity intact.  It might have been bearable had there been breaks or even the possibility of stepping out into the hallway for some air.  There wasn’t.  We weren’t to leave the auditorium for any reason; if you had to use the restroom, you did it in bathrooms inside the auditorium.  Every one of the school rules explained and discussed at length.  Was it really necessary to explain why setting school property on fire was a bad idea?  Then there was the singing.  Apparently, our school was once two separate schools, so naturally we had to learn two different alma maters—followed by a “fun” mix of the two.  A mind numbing experience.

Once I got the inkling that the orientation was winding down, the urge to make a break for it took root in my head. I suggested to Taylor that we make a break for it—I wasn’t very keen on the idea of getting swept up in a sea of freshmen.  Taylor wasn’t as eager.  “But what if we get caught?” she asked.  I could see myself in her eyes.  Hesitant.  Cautious.  It was the version of me that I was suddenly desperate to get away from. Boring little Ana.  The urge to do something reckless was boiling in my veins.  Goodness knows where it came from. 

“Ready?”

Taylor shook her head.  “Ana…you’re not seriously gonna...?”

“Come on!” 

I started down the aisle at a run, apologizing for the book bags I was kicking over and the new shoes being stepped on.  I looked over my shoulder to find Taylor a few seats behind me, using the path I’d cleared to catch up.  Once we reached the stairs, I took a hold of her hand and we sprinted for the exit. 

“Hey! Stop!” called a wide man in glasses leaning against the back wall.  He started after us. 

The hallway was completely empty when we came bursting out of the auditorium. 

“There!” said Taylor, pointing to the girl’s restroom.  We darted inside and slammed the door shut.  Once inside, we both collapsed on the floor, completely out of breath, red in the face, and giggling like six year olds. 

“You’re crazy!” said Taylor grinning and shaking her head.  She’d lost her hat in the escape, so her curly auburn hair now fell over her shoulders.