Your friend breaks the resentful glare you're directing towards Ally.

"Hi there," she chirps sitting next to you in the corner.

"I didn't know you were coming."

"Venable told me to keep it quiet...
Jeez those two are gonna kill each other huh?"

"Hopefully-"

"Girls, are you ready?"

"Yes Mr Albany, sorry."

You glance at your friend, exchanging amused looks as though you're back at school and have just been told off by the teacher.

You adjust your positions, sitting up straight as you prepare to take notes.

*****
"Ally and I will just go and check everything's on track for this afternoon.
(y/n) would you take Miss Venable and Hannah to the canteen, we won't be long."

As you lead the two women towards the fourth floor canteen your friend stops in the middle of the corridor.

"Han?"

"Sorry I really need to use the restroom."

"Oh, sure they're just straight ahead to the left."

You watch Hannah walk away from you and Wilhemina, suddenly feeling nervous as you realise you're alone together.

She gives you a warm smile as you hold open the canteen door for her.

One of your old managers from 107 Law pops her head round the door, "hello Wilhemina, (y/n).
Is Hannah about? I need her to give me a hand upstairs."

"Hi Mandy, she's just using the bathroom, they're straight back down the way you came."

You smile at her as she gives you both a nod before walking off.

*****

"Well, I don't know what they're doing up there but we should go see if they need a hand I guess."

Wilhemina chuckles, "why? Nobody will be missing us just yet...Especially not your girlfriend from what you've been telling me.
Still playing second best?"

You can feel the anger you have towards Ally bubbling up inside you, but you can't afford to explode now.

"We should really go back up there."

"They're offering her a partnership at the end of the month, Alan told me-"

You stop dead in front of the door, moving your hand away from the handle.

What?!

"-It's all strictly confidential so don't get me in trouble by opening that pretty little mouth before the final merger event, will you?"

Is she lying to me?

"What? Ally's going to make partner?"

"Yes.
You think she's not paying attention to you now?
Her work load will triple overnight, at the very least.
She won't have time for you and if by some miracle she does, she'll be far too tired to do anything.
Listen, she's a career woman, she will always care more about this job than she does for you."