vi. all in due time

VI

VI.  ALL IN DUE TIME

     IVY knew she had yet to completely process the information shared by her brothers. Her mind was in a slow sort of daze; not allowing her to fully comprehend and analyze what was happening.

She knew she should be more cautious; she always had been a bit naive, but at least she was aware of that.

She also knew that it wasn't entirely her fault that she couldn't completely grasp the severity of the situation; after all, to one second be standing over your brothers' corpses to then laying in a crypt supposedly over a hundred years later, would be confusing for anyone.

She barely even had time to process the death of her brothers and yet, they stood before her, not a year older than the day they died.

Ivy knew about vampires. How could she not? Ivy may have been naive, but she was not stupid. With a town filled with supernatural beings, it was easy to sense that something was off. And when Katherine Pierce entered the lives of the Salvatore's and the other inhabitants of Mystic Falls, Ivy could no longer ignore the clear signs of supernatural beings.

   There had always been whispers about the allusive Lockwood family and their tempers. Her father had once made remarks about the cave on the family land, but Ivy never took anything her father said too seriously.

   But Katherine Pierce forced her to no longer ignore the signs. Katherine was elegant and poised, but there was something so haunting about her.

  Her first initial reaction to the supernatural world was fear. Though, how could it not be? To have stories shared in her adolescence about the horrors of vampires feeding on humans and the tales of werewolves tearing villages apart— it was a natural reaction to become afraid.

   But Ivy tended to find beauty in the things that were deemed broken.

   Stefan had once told her that while it was her biggest strength; it was also her greatest weakness.

   Finding beauty in broken things came easy to her. It was like the Japanese philosophy and tradition of Kintsugi that she once studied, believing that things are more beautiful because they are broken.

  Being broken was a key part of beauty in Ivy's eyes. The human soul was fragile and could easily crack— so rather than fault those cracks, she chose to embrace them and allow them to aid in her growth as a woman.

   Things and people who are 'broken', typically have more depth and individuality. Learning lessons about life and yourself is almost impossible without the doom of anguish and heartbreak. Going through things allows a person to grow beyond what has hurt them and to become something stronger than they were before.