Chapter Three

Remember Me

Kellin

I bring my hand up to my face to stop the sunlight that's streaming through the window, then stop short. Something doesn't feel right, but I'm not sure what...

I start and abruptly sit up as I hear a chair being knocked over and a quiet string of swears. What's happening? The world is spinning and I clutch my head, feeling my hand brush over a bandage. What?

"Oh, you're awake. Sorry, I knocked over that chair and... What's wrong?" A man with concerned brown eyes was leaning over me. I noticed he was only wearing jeans and I scrambled backwards in fear, hyperventilating. I didn't know why I was so afraid, but I felt like I had been in a similar position before and something very bad had happened. Did I know this person? Where was I? This whole "I don't know anything" thing was getting tiring.

"Kel... Calm down, I'm not going to do anything to you. I'll tell you all that's happening if you just trust me and lay back down, I really think you shouldn't sit up too long, your head will hurt."

"Who's Kel?" I ask. He's definitely referring to me, but I don't think Kel is my name. I don't know if I have one. "Does everyone have a name?" I ask out loud. The man rubs his eyes.

"You are Kel. Well, I don't know, but that's gonna be your name for now. And yes, everyone needs a name and you are no exception. Lay down."

I obeyed and laid back down, still wary of the man who pulled up a chair in front of the couch I was laying on. He was starting to feel more familiar, but I couldn't quite think of a name or how I knew him.

"How do I start?" The brown haired man rubbed his eyes in frustration, like he was trying to wake himself up and find what he needed to tell me. I looked at him blankly.

"Who you are?" I suggested. "You feel familiar, but I don't know your name or anything about you."

"Of course, last night was quite the trip-"

"What happened last night?!"

"Patience, Kel. I'll tell you everything if you just let me talk."

I nodded.

He told me everything- about last night, about my fear, about how I told him I had been dreaming. He said he found me walking along, with my eyes open but clearly not in touch with reality, about a mile from his house. He told me I was badly hurt- like someone had beat me up or something. He told me about himself- his name was Vic, and he was 31 years old. We were in San Diego, California, in an area called Clairemont. He told me about me- I look around his age, maybe a little younger, and I had on a black hoodie, black jeans, a plain black tee shirt, a black beanie, and black sneakers.

"It looked like you were trying to go unseen," Vic added. The clothing seemed familiar, like it was mine, and it was something I usually wore. I nodded when he was finished.

"Now that that's done, let's look over your injuries. I probably should have taken you to a hospital last night, just to be safe, but you don't have any identifying papers, and nothing seemed too serious..." I nodded. I didn't seem to be speaking much right now- I was just trying to let everything I had just learned sink into me.

Vic took the bandages off my forehead where there was a long cut, that I didn't remember getting. I hissed as he applied a disinfectant to it. "It's pretty long, but it's not too deep, so I don't think you'll need stitches. It'll really accentuate your eyes- oh GOD that sounds so gay forget I ever said that!" Vic covers his face and turns away, embarrassed. He swiftly turns back around to me and launches in an explanation.

"Kel I'm sorry please don't think I'm weird or I don't know, hate me or whatever or call me a fag I'm not trying to come on to you- wasn't trying to come on to you and anyways I'm not even gay well I am I'm pan or something oh God that wasn't much better I'm still trying to figure it out but I wasn't hitting on you or anyth-" I cut him off by placing my finger to his lips.

"Vic," I say. "Chill. Out. I'm not a homophobe or anything, and I think I'm gay too- I don't really remember- so don't get so defensive, alright? You can be yourself, it's okay."

"Yeah ok thanks Kel it's just I used to be made fun of and stuff for it so I just get really defensive and-"

"I can see that," I cut him off again. "Can you just go back to replacing my bandages and stuff? I think that my rib might be broken, but there's not much we can do about that." Vic nods, blushing again slightly when he examines the bruises on my chest to see if my rib actually is broken. After a bit, everything seems to be in order as I lift myself up from the couch onto my feet and stretch upwards.

"Hey Vic, can I get food? I'm starving. Sorry I don't have any money." I apologize as I follow Vic to the kitchen.

"It's okay, you're my priority until we find out what happened to you. I would take you to the police station with me as a missing person but it's already four o'clock so I don't think we'd have time."

"It is?" I looked at the clock beside the stove. It did indeed say 4 o'clock exactly.

"I did find you very late at night, so it makes sense that you would be tired." Vic told me. "Also, sometime this morning, I heard you get up and I was afraid that you were sleepwalking again. You were, but luckily I found out that you shouldn't wake up sleepwalking people when I looked it up last night or they could get a heart attack. I'm sorry- I feel like it's my fault you don't remember anything! I was the one who woke you up, it's my fault!"

I looked at Vic's angry face. He looked so mad at himself. I wanted to tell him it would be alright, but I didn't want him to think I was patronizing him.

"Vic, it's not your fault I don't remember anything. I think I know why actually." I told him calmly.

"Was it a traumatic event? I know that sometimes that causes amnesia." I shook my head.

"Maybe. But I think this is the main reason."

I lifted up the hair on the back of my head, showing a giant bruise where I had been clubbed across the head.

Oh no someone knocked Kellin out! I know this feels like filler but Kellin had to learn everything about what's happened and find out about Vic and stuff. So yeah!

Goal: 1 comment

1 vote